Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My original gameplan was to pick up some 'SVT' centercaps from Stangnet's Parts shopper online. This would have been fine and dandy but they are on indefinate backorder :mad:

I don't know why, but I really don't like the AFS center cap:

anyone else found any aftermarket caps that look nice and aren't stupid expensive?

I have the Chrome AFS '03 Cobra wheels. Any suggestions for a centercap that doesn't suck? I'm about ready to buy a set of '98 Cobra wheels to get the centercaps :lol:

I don't want to put Cobra R caps on... I have a half a set of those:

Anyone ever use this place:

http://www.edecals.com/new_decals/wheel_center_cap_decals.htm

I worry that they'll look stupid but Chrome background with maybe a Ford or Mustang logo might be alright:

Silver on chrome might even be low key enough to look cool :).

For $18-$27 it might be worth a shot.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BTW, WTF is up with Ford and their centercaps?

Most places show an AFS looking snake for the centercaps, even on the 'real' '98 and '99 Cobra wheels. I know both of these came down the assembly line with 'SVT' caps.

Maybe I'll look for a used set and get the caps from them.... I need a spare tire anyways :).

update: I found a place selling the OEM caps.... stupid expensive but might be the only option if I can't find a better deal:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/Wheels.html

scroll to the bottom

The 'SVT' caps are $106 and change to my door...

Shawn

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used the stock 3 bar running pony center caps off my Bullits. Stock size Ford center caps wil fit. I didn't care for the AFS center caps either. They are tossed in a box somewhere in my garage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check with Randy over at Modular Depot. That's where I got my Pony Tri-Bar center caps to replace the AFS ones.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Steeda's caps

I have no love for Steeda, but for about the same $$ as the SVT caps I could get these:

It's kind of ricish to me though.... the only thing Steeda on my car would be them caps :).

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... last place I look is where I shoulda started... Good 'ol 50Resto:

http://secure.50resto.com/category.cfm?SID=1&Category_ID=82

I noticed they list the '98 Cobra caps separate from the '03 Cobra ones. I bet the '98 ones are the smaller size caps. All good for me though as the '03 Cobra ones are cheaper! $14.95/ea.

Shawn

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm with you all the way Shawn. When I see 03 Cobra wheels, I think they look 10x better with the black SVT cap. The AFS ones kinda just stand out and say "these are replicas". Even though I have a fox....I wanna get a sn95 with 03 Cobra wheels...believe me...I check out all the threads that include 10.5" 03's!! :D

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be sure and post some before and after pics :evil:.

You know my only regret getting these wheels is that there is just next to nothing out there in 315/30/18s. I did find that 335/30/18s are cheaper than the 315s so I may just put up with some rubbing next time around :).

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lookie what I got today

The UPS guy got here a day early and brought the '03 Cobra centercaps :joy:

As soon as I get this cold taken care of I'll get 'em on and take some more pics.

Shawn

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Shawn95GTRag
Where did you find those Steeda centercaps. I have a new car that is all steeda and they would work perfect for me. Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Shawn are you interested in selling the 95 R caps?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Bad88GT said:
Hey Shawn are you interested in selling the 95 R caps?
I already sold the '00 R ones I had. Thanks for asking though.

Shawn

·
Registered
242 Posts
Those Steeda parts look good. Everything aftermarket under my chassis is Steeda :) I'm just wondering if those are centercaps or centercap COVERS. From the description it looks like you stick them on top of your existing centercaps.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Shawn,
Did the factory '03 center caps you got from 50Resto fit in the AFS wheels? I am planning to buy their wheels this weekend and want to make sure the stock caps will install correctly and sit nice and flush.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Todd Edge said:
Shawn,
Did the factory '03 center caps you got from 50Resto fit in the AFS wheels? I am planning to buy their wheels this weekend and want to make sure the stock caps will install correctly and sit nice and flush.

Thanks,
Todd
They sure did. They'll stay in nice but they are not flush like the AFS caps were. I've been a little slow posting pics as the car is up in the air so I can't get a matching camera shot.

The FMS caps sit just a little bit recessed as compared to the AFS caps but it isn't enough to look funny:

Closer up on the center:

It looks 1000% better with the SVT caps :D.

They fit REALLY tight in the center bore. If you are willing to risk losing a cap you could just push 'em in far enough to go flush and they'd look perfect. They snap in about 1/16" recessed.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Shawn: Good choice on both wheels and center caps. I have the same on my '01 Cobra and reused the '01 caps. The '99-01 Cobra caps ('SVT') as well as the '03 GT premium wheels (same as polished '01s) with 'running horse' caps fit also. Hopefully this helps some people.
As far as the cap fit goes, the '01 SVT caps fit perfect on mine, exactly flush with the machined lip. Much better than the AFS cap even that sticks out minimally.
Anyone know which caps fit the '95 R style AFS wheels?
I tried the '01 caps--too big. I was thinking the '98 Cobra cap might fit. Anyone know?
I'll post a pic after storage is over.
Later, James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts