Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...
have any of you installed a lock on the center console of your cars?...i have a 01 vert and often park with the top down and would love to lock up that LITTLE storage box with all my cds, etc....can i just drill it and install a lock myself or do they sell locks for our cars.
thanks
-mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
Now that's an interesting first mod! you gotta add that to your sig :D

Lon

·
Registered
410 Posts
-sounds like alot of work. wouldn't be worth much protection, and not sure what it would look like. coonsole is pretty weak but a PITA to remove.
-throw the stuff in the trunk and lock the glove box and/or disconnect the trunk release from the glove box.
-bolt a lock box to the floor behind the front seats, this would be easy enough, have the bolts on the inside so you have to open it to remove it, you could put easy thumb spin out nuts on it
-I put all the sensors in the car with the alarm, so you reach in and alarm goes off
-roll windows up, leave top down, lock doors and install a alarm

good luck and post photos if you do it.

locking ford gas gap is a good first mod. functional, inexpensive, and easy to install

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97 GT...that was pretty funny...i figured i would start small and cheap and work my way up....after spending 30k on the car, it really doesnt leave much $ to mod right off the bat, but ill get there

highmiles...all great idea...where did you get that security system with the sensors?..i really like that idea.
thanks
mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
A word of warning, those motion sensors piss a lot of peeps off. Someone that lives in my complex has one on their Amigo and they park it right outside our place and everytime someone walks by it the damn thing goes off. Makes me wanna kick it lol. Fabricating a locking mechanism into that center console shouldn't be that difficult at all, and can probably be done with a single visit to Home Depot or the such. The only issue is, even if you get a locking mechanism, that center console itself isn't the most durable thing. The best way I can see it being secured is a bar that actually bolts to the frame and comes up and goes over the lid and then back down to the frame, with a lock to take the top portion off. Otherwise, that lid just isn't gonna hold. I'd just use the glovebox or trunk, with a car alarm that senses vibration and electric current, such as the Viper. Maybe that in combination with a simple lock on the console lid would be enough to delay them into not getting it open before someone notices. Another thing to keep in mind though, car alarms go off so often these days that nobody ever runs to see what's up when one goes off anymore.

Lon

·
Registered
410 Posts
I totally agree with you 97GTConvt on pi$$ing people off.
Alarms can be very annoying.
Sigs that are 1000000 lines long pi$$ some people off too.
Lots of things get people ticked, poor unhappy bas$%$^s.

Of course you the jealous people who will key your nice ride for the fun of it. Avoiding bad seeds is hard in some areas

I had a Concept 100 alarm system with the bells and whistles including remote start. See sig, under 01 GT specs. Sensitivity switch was easily adjustable. Alarm falsed maybe three times in a year and I drove the thing everyday in all kinds of weather and was parked outside every night.

Personally the trunk with the trunk switch disconnected is the best IMO. OR just say screw it, if the thieves want it then let them take it, if I catch them, then no mercy will be applied nor will the police need to be involved.

I leave my top down all the time, more worried about someone spitting on my interior or slashing the seats with a knife then stealing something from it.

Came out 2 yrs ago, and thieves, stole the guys rims, left the car on the rotors on pavement, slashed his top, ripped open glove box, and slashed his seats. 2000 GT convertible. There was band of thieves who had done something like 6 other cars that weekend.

good luck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Doesn't the trunk switch stay disabled unless the key is in? I never go in my trunk cause of the stereo so I really wouldn't know lol. If it is always live, maybe just add a relay so at least the accessory-on is required so you can keep the functionality of the switch. Oh and btw I would never really kick someone's ride hehe ;)

Lon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts