Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you upgrade and add 200HP to the stock short block, the powdered metal rods, rod bolts and oil pump with powdered metal gears get marginal. Here is a pic of a 5.4L short block that #5 rod broke at ~4,000 rpm. Rod sheared in two and piston wedged in the block with the rod punching two holes in both sides of the block. A new MMR 1,000 HP short block now resides in the car.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FRPP 2.9L 750HP 16 psi Whipple at about 4,000 rpm as stated above - never should have happened. 8,800 miles. Ford said take a hike because it was second owner car.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Sorry to hear. What you gonna do, just rebuild? Is block ok? Hard to tell if those are cracks.

Sorry, just saw MMR short block. At least you are moving again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
FRPP 2.9L 750HP 16 psi Whipple at about 4,000 rpm as stated above - never should have happened. 8,800 miles. Ford said take a hike because it was second owner car.
That's exactly extremely ####ty!
Haven't heard of any coming a part that easily.

Sorry to hear. What you gonna do, just rebuild? Is block ok? Hard to tell if those are cracks.
He added that a 1000hp mmr shortblock is back in it.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol never seen a shelby do that at 640 to the tire. most make way more on stock motor.
the powdered metal makes it a crap shoot. Forged/Shot Peened Manley rods and billet pump now

·
Registered
160 Posts
First sorry to hear about the breakage. You sure did make the right decision with the upgrade.
Just to learn something was your motor making 750FWHP ( roughly 640rwhp) when it let go ?

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First sorry to hear about the breakage. You sure did make the right decision with the upgrade.
Just to learn something was your motor making 750FWHP ( roughly 640rwhp) when it let go ?
673 to the tire on a dynojet

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think 5.0 mentioned 640RW above. But I see in OP's sig & posting the motor pulled 673RW on Dynojet. If there's approx 15% drive train loss on a Dynojet tha's pushing about 790FWHP .
Lots of guys can make that power so should more than a few of us be worried ?
One shop once told me they've seen motors go at 650FW and usually the breakage occurs in the torque band 4000-5000 where pressure is highest. 16psi is not even that crazy but the Whipple sure does make power at 16psi !
tmoss.....try to think about the package you are soon to be driving around in . That will be awesome Bud !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need to get my post count up so I can see the pictures of the carnage. It doesn't look like there is very much in the way of traffic in this forum though...

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Seen it happen on Gen 2 Lightnings....pretty common...especially in the fall/winter/spring. The powdered metal rods. If you're going to make any steam, replace them. I've even seen G2 lightnings break rods bone stock. What kills them is a full throttle 2-3 shift (about 70mph on a stock truck) in cold air. Then the guys put canned tunes on them with pullies, and the engine/truck loves it...unfortunately the rods become the weakest link. I am not sure if it's detonation or what...but they are known for breaking. I hate powdered metal rods for that reason but I understand & respect why they're used as opposed to Manleys or whatever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts