Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was wondering if the full cat back would make a difference or could i just save my $$ and get 2 mufflers instead ? a mustang has 2.5 " pipes right ? Sorry for the strange questions lol im new to mustangs....
I was thinking either getting an american thunder cat back or just getting 2 dynomax ultra flow bullets .. the bullets would be cheaper plus i heard they sound mean

< ex camaro owner

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you but the full cat-back you will have new pipes from the h-pipe back,it would look better, will last longer, plus you have to love the sound of Flowmasters!

·
Registered
26 Posts
agreement

i agree with x.the cat back would be my choice.i started out with just mufflers you will be happy with it for a while but the first time you put the cat-back on you will kick yourself for not doing it n the first place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I had a muffler shop just cut out my factory mufflers and weld in new ones. I went with generic glasspacks and I love the sound and it cost 80 bucks installed. If I ever do anything serious to the car then I might go with a catback for more flow but I am pretty happy with it now.

John

·
Registered
166 Posts
Factory cat-back has 2 1/4 pipes with nasty bends all over the place. I just bought a bassani catback - about to put it in - and it is full 2 1/2 with smooth bends a 3" on the tips. I can't see how there would be reasonable power sitting in the improved piping.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Exhaust

Save your pennies and get the CATBACK-the only way to go.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Is there any real power benefit with the catback over just changing mufflers?

·
Registered
795 Posts
WELD-IN'S WON'T HURT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very little if any power is to be gained with a cat-back system. The mid-pipe is where the power is. Buy for sound not performance. My car runs very strong with a cat-back that many of the self-proclaimed "experts" here will tell you is hurting performance.

Disclaimer: this only holds true for a N/A 2V ,Cobra's and power-adders are a whole different story.:D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Stock cat-back is 2.25" stainless steel. I welded on 2 Mac Flowpath mufflers (stainless steel also) on to my stock cat-back, I am happy. I have noticed no performance difference at all, but they sound NASTY, and that is why I got them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i used to run 2 chamber flow with the stoc piping, sounded great and had good performance ....

i then went to hooker max flow mufflers and mac flowtubse straight out (no tailpipes) and really didnt notice a thing.....

i didn't expect to really, i did it for sound .....

a 2.25 inch dual exhaust system can support a ton of power......

i'd just get mufflers welded in and be done....... some people drop like $600 for a catback !!!:( :eek:

screw that.. they might see 2 hp over the stock system with some good mufflers.....

the main restriction is the cats.... get them out of the way.... weld in some mufflers and spend the rest on boltons or a power adder, suspension.... something that will make a real difference...

;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx for the replies....i think i might go for the flowmaster catback.....i prefer to have bigger pipes i didnt know the stock pipe was only 2.25 "

I have another question though.....whats the deal with the off road H pipe or X pipe......what is the one to get if i was to get the flows ? X or H ? also will an muffler shop put it on the car or do i have to tell them " im gonna take it to the track "

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with most here, a catback won't add much more power but will most likely sound better(sound is a matter of opinion though). If you plan to do mods that require more exhaust, you could do what I did. I put in 2.5 inch flowtubes(the part that goes from the x/h pipe to the mufflers,cost $30) with welded in mufflers. After the mufflers, the stock tails won't restrict any more than a 5" tip would(lol). If you have a 99+, the stock tailpipes are pretty nice anyway, so I would save your $. Besides, it is stainless, which some catbacks are not, and will last forever. I know that my catback setup is the least of my exhaust bottleneck problems(see sign.). Just my opinion. Wait a minute, how the hell did I get in these forums? just kidding

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you don't want to spend the money, two ways you can go here. Buy a set of 2 chamber flows (160 beans) and have a shop weld them in for you (labor prices). Other option is to get the "flowmacster" (mac flowpath) cat back, jack the car up, put it on stands and take a hack saw to the stock pipes just after the mufflers. Bolt the new cat-back in place (even up and overs are flanged= no welding) and be done (300 clams).

Your choice.

Flows sound good, MAC's sound NASTY!!!!

:joy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts