Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of choosing one cat-back over the other. I just pulled a Magna-Flow cat back off of the car because of a droning interaction with the catted Bassani x pipe. I run 3:73's and a 5 speed. I have ordered a Borla cat-back and wanted to know if anyone who had a similar setup, had any droning issues with the Borla.

The Magna-Flow sounds great, it is just my specific setup. Other cars with a similar setup do not get the same resonance. Just my luck.

The guys on the Tech line at Borla were great. They understood the problem with the Magna-Folws and suggested the use of a stainless venturi at the exit of each muffler to provide a slight restriction to the exhaust gas, to keep it in the muffler a bit longer and allow it to do its job. The combo of the free flowing cats and Magna-flow straight through muffler allowed most of the gas and sound to pass through the system and out the tailpipes. Borla uses a 2-1/4" pipe and Magna-Flow uses a 2-1/2" pipe.

Now I have to decide which system to keep. Hmmmmmmmm....

Marc

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I am yet to hear an after market 2 1/2" exhaust system that does not drone with about any combination of X/H catted/non catted pipes, based on my subjective (I admit) definition of drone.

If you are going to choke down nice Borla system so it is quiet (using their venturies), why not just stick to the quiet and very efficient stock system. BTW are you sure the Borla is 2 1/4' and not 2 1/2"? Enjoy whatever you decide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I remember someone putting the tailpipe baffles from a bassani catback into a magnaflow to prevent this problem and you wallet from getting $600 lighter.

Look into it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Marc: I've got a similar drone (see my sig) though I don't have the 3.73's (yet). Do you want to try a set of 2001 stock mufflers to see the comparison? I've been tempted to do it but just haven't. They are off my roomates 2001 GT when he had about 1K miles on it. Might be cheaper and I'll tell you, the the sound of the new GT's stock exhaust is pretty sweet with a couple of simple mods. I'm offering because I'm pretty close to you in VA (I think).

Anyway, whatever you decide e-mail me if you decide to get rid of the magnaflow cat-back. I've got the muffs but might be interested in doing the entire cat back if it was affordable to do so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It may be the 2 1/2 pipes. I have the magnaflow mufflers welded into the stock system and I get no drone at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts