Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 302 H.O. I do not know how to advance the timing on it. is it possible to even do this to that year. And if so can i have a small explanation on how to change the timing. Thanx.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Unfortunately a small explanation isn't possible for a newbie on this subject. Fortunately though I've gone over it in detail here before. Even though this discussion revolved around the '83-'85 V6 the information equally applies to the same years V8s. One thing I didn't learn until the last post when Mikael put up a link is that the number stamped on the advance plate equals half of the total advance it will generate. Knowing this saves a lot of testing time.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120873&highlight=timing

Vernon

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Cougar232 said:
I do not know how to advance the timing on it. is it possible to even do this to that year.
Uh, any year engine you should be able to advance or retard teh timing, unless it is a distributorless ignition. Also, if it is computer-equipped, the 'puter may offset anything that you change from base.

When you talk about timing, there are different types - base, vacuum, advance, and total.

I *HIGHLY* suggest that you pick up a Chiltons or Haynes book. It outlines many basic procedures (such as adjusting timing) that can be done to a vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts