Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to put donor engine in my 59 Ranchero. Came from an 88 crown vic, EFI with 150hp....pretty lame. Would it be better to go back to carb setup with cam and roller rockers or keep EFI setup with cam and roller rockers. I would be porting/polishing heads and intake either way and upgrading the exhaust. Wanting to make around 300hp. This will be a daily driver.

·
Registered
989 Posts
the donor motor needs some help to make 300 hp like heads especially and a cam wouldn't be a bad idea then do you want to do the needed wiring from a 88 which is already 25 years old so my suggestion is carb or find a newer harness to go injection Check Summit for stand alone injected

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
For this application stay carbed. If you went efi you would have to wire the car up and run FI lines etc. I have used both in my race car's and honestly my carb setups have ran better and less hastle. To tune its just a screw driver and timing light.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
yeah imo if you had a 89-93 donor 5.0 stang then it'd be worth going injected but with the crownvic stuff I'd prob say carb.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Definately carb - No hassle,easy tune,good power.

·
Registered
556 Posts
carbs suck. ive ripped the carbs off anything ive owned and went with efi, both ford and dodge. not that hard to figure out, especially with the ford, since there are harnesses you can buy that make it just plug and play. on the dodge i had to make it all myself.

a 59 with a carb doesnt stand out either.

the 88 crown vic motor is basically the same as an 86 GT except for the cam. same crappy E6 heads. find the closest junkyad with a 5.0 explorer, yank the heads and intake and put them on your motor, then a TFS #1 cam and you wont regret it. simple, cheap, reliable, streetable, and peppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts