Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked a 93 coral reef blue 4cyl coupe and have plans of dropping in my 351w. I already have a lot of EFI parts from my daily driver 88GT and the 351w has a GT40 intake but I was thinking I could get away with a lot more by going the carb route. Can you guys give the negative/positive on the carb route?

This car will be only used for limited street/strip duty (not a daily driver).

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
can of worms: OPEN

lots of debate, and not sure wha you mean by "I was thinking I could get away with a lot more by going the carb route" get away from cops? baby's moma's? I will assume you mean get more HP.

This is what i did, sold all my old 302 and new 351 EFI stuff, and with the $1,500 (the 351 efi stuff is worth a lot) i bought an electric fuel pump, AFPR, intank pick up, fuel lines, vic jr. intake, throttle cable, choke cable, vacuum advance Diz, carb+carb spacer. all of that cost me less then 1K. there is more that you need (it's been covered). BUT IMO, this makes more sense then playing the "are my injectors/MAF big enough" game. trying to run a 408 thru a 302 based ECU or paying someone else to tune my car for me.

i like cheap, simple and reliable. i think it is a toss up as to which is more powerful. it all depends on who is tuning. BUT there is no doubt which is cheaper. -----rant over.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry-Get away with more for my money. I think it will be expensive to track down all of the needed EFI electrical parts etc.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
bottom line is you have to replace a hand ful of items either way, but to me it makes more sense. and it has old school cool.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
:lol:

cheap/easy/plentiful.

am i describing the mod or mustangs in general :idunno:

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
can of worms: OPEN

lots of debate, and not sure wha you mean by "I was thinking I could get away with a lot more by going the carb route" get away from cops? baby's moma's? I will assume you mean get more HP.

This is what i did, sold all my old 302 and new 351 EFI stuff, and with the $1,500 (the 351 efi stuff is worth a lot) i bought an electric fuel pump, AFPR, intank pick up, fuel lines, vic jr. intake, throttle cable, choke cable, vacuum advance Diz, carb+carb spacer. all of that cost me less then 1K. there is more that you need (it's been covered). BUT IMO, this makes more sense then playing the "are my injectors/MAF big enough" game. trying to run a 408 thru a 302 based ECU or paying someone else to tune my car for me.

i like cheap, simple and reliable. i think it is a toss up as to which is more powerful. it all depends on who is tuning. BUT there is no doubt which is cheaper. -----rant over.
Where did you get a distributor? The new MSD vacuum advance ones are $300 or something stupid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts