Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days ago my car was driving fine, then I got off work that same night and the engine was missing VERY badly like I was running out of fuel. i filled my tank up and drove home and it missed all the way home, but it only missed above 2k rpms. So the next morning I start the car and drive to the barber shop and everything was cool (the shop is about 4 blocks from my house). Then I proceded to the store and on the highway it started to miss. Well to make a long story short the car cut off on my and I started it back up and it was missing and backfiring through the exhaust when I hit the gas.... also when I hit the gas the rpms NEVER went above 1500 RPMS... not even with my foot on the floor! So i got the car towed home and tried starting it and it started fine and idled correctly for about 10seconds then it started missing again and the rpms dropped to around 500. So today I install a new fuel pump and filter start the car up and it idled fine. But this time instead of driving around I just let the car run for about 10-15min and wah-la... it started missing again and cut off. This time I tried starting it and it didnt start. SO I checked for spark and spark was coming out of the coil to the distributor BUT spark wasnt going to any cylinder. What could this be?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just replaced the TFI on my car... it was doing the same thing only mine didn't die each time. Just a total loss of power. The "light switch" description fits very well. You can have your TFI tested at Autozone, but they showed mine to be good when it wasn't.

I'm not saying that your TFI is definitely bad, but I would be leaning that way. I hate when people get on here and say it is definitely this or that because it happened to their cars. Cars are funny that way.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys I replaced my whole distributor (including TFI) and rotor but I left the distributor cap on. For the lst couple of days the car has been driving fine up until this morning! I hopped in the car started her up and the idle was jumping around and I tried driving the car down the street and it was missing/surging/bucking (no backfiring though). SO I quickly turned around and popped the hood to see if one of my plug wires had touched the header or something but everything was normal! And after about 5min with the car running the idle smooth out and it drove fine all day until I let it sit for around 8 hours and the same thing happened! Now what could this be... it seems like this car is cursed!! Im scared to drive it for the fear of it breaking down again and leaving me stranded!! But thank god for AAA (triple A)!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Fastcat said:
I let it sit for around 8 hours and the same thing happened!
Did it rain or have a dew during this time?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, it was a light mist of due on the car yesterday morning, but I cant remember what the conditions were after it was sitting for about 8hrs!! And I have a Mach1 hood with the 2 slits cut out also... if that would make any difference.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If this only happens when it rains. dew or mist occurs you need to change the cap, it's cracked. Condensation buildup in the cap is causing the probs. To test it loosen the cap and spray it thoroughly with some electric contact cleaner or dry with a hair dryer and then reinstall.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Change your distributor car. Use Standard Blue streak parts. Make sure it is the blue cap with the Brass Terminal Ends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts