Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an '88 5.0 5spd. ...

It broke down on me in town at a red light when I pushed in the clutch to stop.(the rpms fell and it just died)

I finally got it started back up after several turns of the key, it just sounded like a weak battery or something.

It has been doing this every now and then when I come to a stop...it's just been a while.

When it broke down in town it would turn over, but it won't even turn over now! You just hear a single hollow tock of a sound when you turn over the key which seems to be coming from the starter?

I replaced the starter about 3 mos. ago, so I doubt that is it?

The battery is less than 1yr old.

And the alt. was replaced about 2-2 1/2 yrs. ago.

When it has done this in the past where it won't even turn over, I wiggle the batt. terminals and it will usually start up.

I called Autozone and the guy there seems to think I would be smart to check the pos. and neg. terminals from the battery to the final connections and maybe replace with new ones.

What do you guys think it could be?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
sounds like your altenator is going bad, but it could also be your battery. Batteries only last about 2 years in my car, then I have to get a new one. I would pull the altenator and have it tested just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Take your battery out and charge it. Take your alternator out and take the battery and alternator into a parts store like Autozone or napa, any big parts store will check them for free. They can't check the battery if it is low. If the battery and alternator check out ok, take the starter off and take that in too. If the starter checks out ok, your starter selonoid is probably bad. This is a 15 dollar part or so, when I worked there, we couldn't check these. but you can check them by crossin the two terminals with AN INSULATED screwdriver. It will spark, but if if turns over the selonoid is definately bad. Take them to autozone. I used to work there and I know they will check everything out for free.

**TIP** If you're alternator is bad, don't buy one from autozone. Same goes for the battery, unless you buy there top of the line ones. We had WAY TOO MANY alternators come back that were bad and not that old. Go to NAPA and buy the good alternator. Good Luck man

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a similar problem in that my car would die every now and then when I would come to a stop and then my car wouldn't turn over until it cooled down, in my case it was the module on the side of the distributor that was going bad, I don't know if yours is bad but I thought that I would tell you not to overlook that module, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dist. module

yeah! the guy at autozone also mentioned that it could be the module and that if so it cost $29.99...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts