Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My car refused to start tonight. I boosted it, still wouldn't start. Smoke was coming up through the hole where the E-brake is. The starter is not turning, but I have a feeling it is an electrical short draining the ignition system. Anyone have any idea or dealt with this before. I am planning on ripping the console out tommorow. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the console out, tried to start it so it would smoke again and I could see where it was coming from. It was the brake. I touched the e-brake cable it was hot as hell. I don't get it. I removed the wires from it that tell it when it is disengaged, but that did not help. I crawled under the car but did not see anything unusual with the cable. I am at a loss, any ideas? Help

·
Registered
774 Posts
If the E Brake cable is hot, there is power grounding to it somewhere. Look around at the entire E Brake assy and its cables. Start at the back where they come from the rear brakes and follow them to the handle. Have you relocated your battery to the trunk? If so inspect the cable you ran.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still messing with it. the strange thing is. The brake cable is not hot after it branches off at the T to the rear. So I don't think the problem is back farther. Nothing else is hot on the Brake assembly. I am totally lost. About to give up and take it to the shop.

·
Registered
281 Posts
same thing happened to me
it was weird

here is your problem, your block is not grounded.
what you need to do is either run a new ground wire from the block to your frame, or run a ground wire from the starter to the frame. i ran a ground wire from the starter to the frame..

hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jordanpace. I'll give it a try tommorow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think you were right. I did not run a ground wire, but when I pulled the ground wire off the starter, it was nasty looking. I cleaned it up put it on and things are just peachy now. Thanks Brother

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same thing happened to me a week after I bought my car. Took me two weeks to figure it out. Jordanpace is right. Its the ground on your block. I ran two extra grounds to the block just in case so it wont leave me stranded any more. Do this and you wont ever have to worry about it again. Jay

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. I took it to the local ford dealer (still under warranty) and got 3 new starters and 1 rebuilt starter put it over the course of 2 years. The problem happened again about last year so I took it to my mechanic who installed another rebuilt starter. The next day it wouldn't start again so he checked everything and discovered the negative wire off the battery had never been completely tightened to the block. It had just about burned off the connector. He installed a new wire and there's been no problem since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts