Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84 carbureted 5.0L with no mods, wont start.

I had it running in the vehicle it was pulled from, without any problems whatsoever, except a strange H2S smell coming from the exhaust. Other than that, it was running extremely smoothly. Now that i have dropped the engine in the new car, it wont start.

I managed to get it to turn over no problem, and there is definitely fuel getting into the carb, as well as spark.

Also, it seems (smells) like its flooding alot.

When it is being cranked, it coughs alot, and just really wants to start.,. i know it does!

ANy ideas of what the problem could be? Pretty general question i suppose, but i must have hooked somethin up wrong... ive gone thru everything, and its all right as far as i can see, and i ve done this before, so it cant b e anything toooo obvious.

One thing tho, i dont have an exhaust bolted on yet, just headers, and the hoses connected to the air pump are not hooked up.

Thanks in advance,
Derek.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I dont know how it would happen, but when a timimg belt jumps a couple of teeth, a car will often not run. It will seem rich because fuel is just pumping in and out. I dont know why a chain would have moved though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like the timing is way retarded or 180 degrees out. Verify that 0 on the balancer is #1 cylinder at TDC. Just a side note, contrary to popular relief, I've had my car started with the dizzy 180 out! Started once, died and didn't start again until I corrected the dizzy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts