Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i've had this car for 6 months and have yet to even get it on the road yet, one problem after another! Well I just replaced the clutch last friday, I drove it around for about 30 minutes friday and then took it home and parked it. Saturday morning I started it up to let it run for a few minutes(it started up fine and strong) to see if I could find out what was rattling on my exhaust so I could stop it. Saturday afternoon I went to start it up and drive it around the block to try and break in the clutch a little more and the son of a ***** wont start! It turns over but will not start. Fastfed(friend and member of this board) says it is the TFI module but I need to make sure since it 87 bucks and non returnable. Well today I checked to see if it has spark, and it does. My friends dad(who helped me install the clutch) said to crank the car a few times and then take a screw driver and push down on the little needle at end pf the fuel rail valve thingy(sorry for my lack of car parts knowledge, im new at this and still learning) and it is getting fuel so he says it isnt the fuel pump. If anyone has an idea of what this could be please help me out! thanks, Phil

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just because there's pressure in the fuel rail doesn't mean the engine's getting fuel. Pull the plugs after you crank it a little bit and see if they're wet.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
TFI...

Remove your TFI and take it to NAPA for testing so you can rule that out.They will test it for free.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
i agree, take the module off the car, take it to autozone or napa for a free inspection. 87 bux is a rip, aftermarket ones are a hell of alot cheaper than that. if it's not the module, check for fuel as mentioned above, check the cap for hairline cracks or carbon track, check rotor, check starter solenoid, IF all else fails it's usually the pickup coil located in the distributor below the rotor.

good luck, post the results

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Maybe exhaust is plugged up?

You said that you heard a rattle somewhere in the exhaust? Could be that whatever was rattling is now pluggin up the exhaust. What year mustang do you have? There is a way to check with a vacuum gauge I think ( someone on the board has checked that before) so I'd wait for them to possibly post or you could do a search on the web site for "plugged cat's" and see if that finds anything. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find

Bill

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Dude!! LOL

The tfi your asking for is wrong, THERE IS NO WAY THEY WANT 85 BUCKS!! Its 25.00 at the most. Turn the key on and cycle it a few times, listen for the fuel pump, You should hear it on the right side in the back of the car.. ( ROll up the windows and do it ) If you hear the pump then thats good. Just cause your getting spark does not rule out the TFI, Once again. Go get one and if he says 85.00 tell him to shove it. and he is a rip off artist. Let me know man

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I told him I need the TFI module for an 87' 5.0 mustang and I had 40 bucks with me and then he said "I have one but its $87.35 and non-returnable" and I was like WTF ill come back later.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Phill where did you go? Make sure its the right one 87 bux is the wrong part, Anyone have the part # ??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called 2 places(ADT auto parts and NAPA) and NAPA says they dont do testing, DAMNIT! I was reading the Haynes manual and I was asked the price for the TFI ignition module when I called NAPA and when I talked to ADT all I said was TFI module, what in the world am I saying wrong? lol. Thanks for everyones help so far!

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Stangaholic said:
I told him I need the TFI module for an 87' 5.0 mustang and I had 40 bucks with me and then he said "I have one but its $87.35 and non-returnable" and I was like WTF ill come back later.

:confused:

Where did you go to price that TFI module? If it was a Ford dealership then forget it. Advance Auto Parts sells the TFI for $26 with a lifetime warranty. GP SORENSEN part # EL129.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I am looking/sounding like a retard, I would like to know if anyone has a picture of what this TFI module looks like. Bobby, you said it has one plug on it or something like that right? The only thing I see with only one plug on it is located on the right fender(when looking at it from the front of the car) is that the TFI module or not?? Even if it is, I still dont know why they are all telling me its 80 bucks, its called a TFI module or TFI-IV ignition module right? :confused:
Once again sorry if I dont really know what im talking about, im still really new to this and still learning how to work on my onw car. thanks again for everyones help

·
Registered
57 Posts
the tfi module is a small rectangular plastic piece with a plug on the right side of it, it's bolted to the distributor held on by a couple of torx bit bolts. if you pull it off, remember to re-apply hi-temp grease to the back of the module before bolting it back to the distributor. kumar

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
PHIL!! Give me your phone # and then I will 3 way the stupid parts store, What is it?

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
The 2 bolts holding the TFI module onto the distributor can be reached with a ¼ inch drive, deep 7/32 socket. Depending on where your timing is set you're more than likely going to need to loosen the distributor hold-down bolt so you can turn the distributor to where the module in facing forward to reach the 2 bolts. Remove module, scrape/clean dried grease off of the distributor surface and put new grease onto the area before installing new TFI.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Ok guys listen for some reason where Stangaholic lives, They charge an arm and a leg. A local parts store said it was 110.00 HAHAH There nuts.. can someone give me a FORD part # plz... Thanks, If all else fails I am going to ship him one from where I am.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts