Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the past few months my car when at first start and sometimes if idling I get the smell of fuel....ok the car is running rich, you can see the carbon on the pipse and when I get on it, you see the carbon come out of the pipes...
Today I decided to give her a tune up, bought a tune up kit from Downs ford (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter) and said what the hell lets change the 02 sensors as well (I personally have never changed them) and with 157k on the clock I think the origanals would be shot...
I get the car up on ramps, spray som PB wrench to break the rust loose take them out and the are black with carbon..DAMN! I think, well this explains the rich condition..
Then I move on to the plugs, plug #1, pull it out and to my surprise it's white, not an off white, but OH CRAP I JUST SAW A GHOST WHITE! confused I start to pull the rest of them..well..they're ALL WHITE!
question is, how can they show a lean condition but yet the car dumps fuel? I don't get it...I've never seen this before on any mustang I have worked on including my own until now..

and another thing..if the fuel filter was in wrong, would I still get fuel to the motor? I have always put them back in the way they come out (the flow arrow facing the pass side of the car) and have never had a problem..

I have everyone scratching thier heads with this one including myself, so any help is welcome..

it's an 87gt (no maf) tming set to 14deg the last time I checked it, it doesn't ping or knock or detonate.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Actually, on a properly running EFI system, your plugs will appear white, as opposed to the carb'd days of slightly tan, etc. It's all about controlling the a/f very closely to get that perfect a/f for emissions and economy.

Your car will actually smell rich at startup, because it is rich at startup. If it wasn't programmed this way, your car would simply not run when it is cold.

It is possible that it is only showing rich at a very few specific times, such as a quick stab of the throttle, etc.

After you did your tune up, did you remove the battery for 20+ minutes?

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no..didn't think I had to....

the car is runn much better since the tune up, and yesturday I had to do and emergency stab to get out of a mess,, and I didn't see much carbon out of the exhuast, not like before anyway...

by the way these plugs look, it's not running normal..as in way to lean..I've done enough tune ups on this car to know what the plugs look like when they come out, and this the first time they were this white....I'm going to replace the map sensor this weekend and see if that helps at all and I'm also going to check a few other things..
The thing is I'm building a motor and putting a 93 cobra mass air system in it, but if there is any bugs with the way the car is now, I don't want them t oflow over to the new setup..so I'm just trying to pin point were the crap is.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Please if its a mass air car change the bap sensor. ;) Also might want to change intake air charge temp and coolant temp sensors(not the sending unit) these can cause some problems and are often overlooked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts