Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after driving the car for about 1500-2000 miles, the car today, seemed to not want to start up without a jump. than after a couple jumps, i have realized that every time i touch the outside of my car, i get a pretty decent shock, like a bee sting, maybe worse. my fingers and joints are all numb, it was kind of fun at first, but thats not the point. So what ground am i looking to be loose? one coming off the msd coil or the msd box?? any help is great appreciated, thanks, steve. oh yea, the car is carbed. if that means anything.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, think about the 12 volt system. Where does the power come from and where does the ground go??? Oh yeah, electrons come from the negative and flow to the positive..... sorry, I always get some smart guy telling me that....... Anyhow, does this have anything to do with Earth???? NO. Change shoes and try it again.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
2 words.

Static electricity.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh???

me muy confuso:confused: :confused: . i am seriously lost. nike airs should have done the trick, i thought that was enough rubber to insulate. but than again, why is only 12 volts stinging the crap out of me??? i mean, ive been electricuted pretty bad before, but this cant be good, my joints in my fingers are still soar, and taht was over 3 hours ago!!! my car is scaring me, i thought we had a great relationship going. but to you:lol: and:confused:

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whooooooa.....

everyone hold up a second, are you saying it was me shocking the car, not the car shocking me??again:confused: . am i like that guy "powder" or something?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I get shocked when getting out of vehicles all the time. 12v from the car battery (unless its off the coil) shouldn't shock you that bad.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what im sayin!!! could it have something to do with the MSD Blaster 2 coil? i hear they throw out some mean electricity. i dont know about my car, first the smoke, now this. i guess maybe its that time of month. oh well, TTT, i wanna know what could be causing me to have red burn spots on my finger tips from touchin my car. also, i made my friend touch it and he said all the hair on his legs got all stuck up and his hole body was tingly. im afraid to touch my own car, what do i do:confused: :eek:

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TTT

one last time before i go to bed.:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing, sounds like more than static to me. The fact that you needed a jump leads me to guess that you have a short somewhere, perhaps in the primary ignition circuit. How does the car run once it's started? Do you only get shocked when the car's running? I'd sure like to know what the solution to your very weird problem is, and I wish I could offer some more useful advice.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car shocks me when it is and isnt running. however, it "seems" to run fine. ill try finding a short today, im probably gonna be looking at the ground off the coil.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha, well.....

me and my car(lucy) have a love hate relationship, i beat on the car really badly and she'll get back at me one way or another. well i raced her on the street, and i think this is my punishment from her. she doesnt drive right whenever other people try driving, she'll bog really badly, wont start, or stall all the time, so in other words, NO, YOU CANT HAVE MY CAR!!!! even though im afraid to touch her, im not gonna give her away. after i got back from driving today, she just shocked me. oh well, i couldnt find any missing or loose grounds either.

·
Registered
668 Posts
ever seen the movie CHRISTINE? Maybe the car is posessed? now my car shocks me when i grabbed the door to shut it, but once you discharge the static built up in your body, that should be it. thats weird.

·
Registered
51 Posts
shock Treatments

Dude!

I had a car that did that to me quite often. It drove me Nucking
Futs ! I checked all the grounds and connections that I could find!

But I still kept getting shocked! Finally a old mechanic that I knew
said to change the alternator. Because it might be leaking A.C.
Current from a bad rectifier set up ( the Diode trio)

I did, and the problem went away! Maybe this is whats going on with your car.

See Ya!

Mike C. :cool:

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm

but she doesnt have AC:confused: . i dont know, im kind of starting to enjoy it, and also, i think the alternator is goin anyway. oh well, i guess i can live with the shock treatments as longas nothing else goes wrong. AND SHES WHIPPED BY ME, SHES NOT RUNNING TO ANYBODY!!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's static electricity buildup, trust me.

Interestingly, tires have a big effect on this. Some years ago one of the major manufacturers was forced to change the brand/model of tire they were fitting OEM because of consumer compliants of getting shocked. I want to say it was the Taurus with Michelin tires, but don't quote me because its been too many years for the specifics to be clear. I just remember that there was a customer concern about being shocked and the fix was a different tire.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shock Treatments PT2

Dude !

Your Alternator produces A.C. current (Much like that found in a household wall socket, just a lessor charge level)

It is changed into D.C., or Direct current by the Diode pack . Which are located inside the alternator case! There are three Positive and three negative Diodes. ( sometimes more)
Together they change the A.C. electricity that the alt. produces
( ALTERNATING CURRENT) into D.C. electricity (DIRECT CURRENT).

In other words they RECTIFY the output of the alternator. Making it a D.C. Generator. Which creates less static electricty, and therefore fewer incidents of static shock!.

Sometimes these diodes will go bad, and different things can happen.
Such as complete Alternator failure, or an unregulatable unit that runs wild and blows up your battery, and burns out all your lights.

Or creates excessive A.C. Current leakage into your electrical system. Which will cause the type of problem you are experiencing.

When this happens, your car can act like a giant Capacitor, or Condenser. ( which store electricity until it is asked for by a device, or circuit)
It will store this excess A.C. current until you reach out to touch the car, AND THEN ZAP! it releases the stored static energy.

You feel it as a electrical Shock! Because thats what it is !

Anyway I hope that you find your problem. Before some young lady, that you have been after gets zapped. And will refuse to ride in your car again.

Take it slow.

Mike C. :cool:

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha

i see, now i understand, thanks for the explanation!!!! funny stuff too:lol: . im gonna get a new alternator soon anyway, so hopefully thats what it is. my tires are horrible, bald kuhmos, but im not sure that has anything to do with it, i dont know. probably the alternator, and im thanking everyone for helping me narrow down the problem. now im thinking, maybe shes doing on purpose to keep the other women away:confused: ?? eh, oh well, ill just make sure i touch the car first, so the ladies dont get shocked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts