Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it runs great most of the time. But now when it gets hot during the day, and I run it for 20 minutes at least and turn it off for 15 or more minutes, when I try to start it again, it starts, hesitates, misses, and dies. THen it will not start at all. If I wait a few hours till everything cools down, it will run fine. I replaced the Pickup Coil (Hall Effects, PIP) I did the plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter.

What is wrong with this car?

Please answer these questions if you can, and add anything you think will help.

1. Will the codes on a 94 be stored?
2. SHould I change the TFI module or coil next?
3. Will this intermittent problem be detected as a bad TFI module if I have it tested?

Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take it to the dealership and have then plug your board into their diagnostic computer.
hesitates, misses, and dies
Does it "rich out" ? I have a 280Z that sudenly would have it's fuel/air mixture go rich. After throwing many parts at it I finally has it's circuit board replaced and that fixed it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That sounds like a bad TFI Module, however running codes will not tell you if it is bad or not. Try to get a working one off someone with a ford to try it out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I second the TFI sounds like the common problem on the Fox cars. Ford tried to relocate it off the distributor in 94 to get it away from engine heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys, heres an update.

I replaced the TFI Module and the Main Coil also today. The car still does it. Seems like the Fuel Pump shuts down once I turn off the car. When I get back in and turn the key, it will start and barely run for about 15 seconds, then it dies and will not start at all for at least 2-3 hours. I dont hear the fuel pump start up when I turn the key during this time.

I thought maybe these modules and ignition components may have been shutting down the fuel pump, but I guess not. All thats left to change is the Fuel pump. How hard is that on these cars? Inside or outside the tank?

Also, there is a relay of some sort in the trunk for the Fuel Pump. It has a big red circle on it, but it doesnt work like a button at all, I pressed on it like a gorilla and nothing moved. How does that thing work? I dont have the manual, and this is my first GT or Ford for that matter.

THanks!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
its real easy..2 bolts to drop the tank a few more on the filler tubes.disconnect fuel lines...pop the ring out and change the pump..real simple

·
Registered
113 Posts
That red button is the emergency cut off, it should pop out if you were to get into the accident.

Just a question, did you replace the distributor pick-up, because that also has something to do with whether the fuel pump turns on or not.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I did the pick up coil.

So I have to drop the tank on a 94 Vert to get to the fuel pump? I was hoping there was a way in through the trunk! A door would be nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts