Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000GT w/ 01 cobra motor, vortech supercharger, lightning MAM, dyno tuned.

This is getting very annoying, but whenever my car comes to a stop, or really anytime I put it in neutral or have the clutch in after being in gear for a while, like when im coming to a stop, or coming to a turn or whatever, the car dies.

I have to start it up again to get it moving.

Is it something to do with the airflow?

With the saleen kit and the vortech, the air filter is sitting right where air can rush right into it.

This is getting dangerous, I lose all power while trying to go around a sharp curve or turn onto another street.

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had this issue w/ my old Vortech'd Saleen. The Pro-M sat right behind the opening of the hole in the bumper. What you can try to do as an experiement is tape up those front 2 holes in the front bumper....and maybe place some tape over the screen mesh inside the bumper over the side vent area. If you'd like to totally pin point if it's air turbulance causing the stalling....rig up some sort of shield to totally isolate the MAF. I just used a piece of thin plastic hardened film and bent it over the MAF. I used tape everywhere to hold it in place.....remember this is temporary. If it works, you can fabricate a better version.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my N/A cobra. It turned out to be a sticking IAC valve, that wouldn't let air bypass the throttle body to idle. I cleaned it and the problem stopped for a while but I ended up buying a new one because it would continue to happen a week or so later.

John

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your speedo is functioning properly right? This also sounds exactly like a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) problem.

I had a time when my trany was chewing through speedo gears like there was no tomorrow, everytime one would go out, and i'd loose speedo, the car would act exactly as you've described. Really anoying and really unsafe.

-Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
intero said:
Your speedo is functioning properly right? This also sounds exactly like a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) problem.

I had a time when my trany was chewing through speedo gears like there was no tomorrow, everytime one would go out, and i'd loose speedo, the car would act exactly as you've described. Really anoying and really unsafe.

-Tom
My speedo used to cut out completely. I pulled the codes and got a VSS code once. I went ahead and replaced the sensor and havent had that problem since. So im pretty sure Im good on the VSS.

I need to give the idea about completely blocking off the air filter a try. How close can I get around filter before I start blocking air that really needs to get in there?

·
Registered
54 Posts
intero said:

-Tom
Yep, when my speedcal malfunctioned, my vehicle acted the same way.

Also, if you don't have a speedcal, and disconnect the factory VSS, same issue will occur. Well, at least on the 99 cobra.

·
Registered
238 Posts
S281JET said:
I had this issue w/ my old Vortech'd Saleen. The Pro-M sat right behind the opening of the hole in the bumper. What you can try to do as an experiement is tape up those front 2 holes in the front bumper....and maybe place some tape over the screen mesh inside the bumper over the side vent area. If you'd like to totally pin point if it's air turbulance causing the stalling....rig up some sort of shield to totally isolate the MAF. I just used a piece of thin plastic hardened film and bent it over the MAF. I used tape everywhere to hold it in place.....remember this is temporary. If it works, you can fabricate a better version.
I was going to suggest this the last time you brought this thread up aaron, but I was banished to "go drive your vette"... :p

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Rotate the mass air 90 degrees and I bet your problem goes away instantly.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rotate the mass air 90 degrees and I bet your problem goes away instantly.....
My car is doing the same thing. Why would rotating the mass air meter fix the problem? I'll give it a try this week, I'm just wondering why this might fix the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts