Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this mourning I started up my car fine and after driving for around 1 mile my car buckles and dies. I had felt the same thing before when my maf came loose but today was not the case. After the car dies it wouldnt' start again. It would just keep cranking. So I left it for about a few hours and it started up right away like nothing happened.

What kind of problem is this? Can it be the gas lines froze up or something? I got new battery, new plugs, new wires, so don't know what it can be.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My 2.3 would not start the other day. It would just crank, and you could smell gas. I figured it HAD to be spark. It turned out to be an ECT sensor. This sensor was "out of range" and reading that the engine was EXTREMELY cold on starts and in turn the computer was flooding the engine. Just another idea.

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
Hi there,
Most of the time problems relating to the vehicle shutting down is related to either ignition or fuel. It will be up to you to determine which route of troubleshooting you choose.

From my experiences in dealing with problems like this, I would replace the TFI module and/or the CCRM, providing your running a stk ignition system. With intermittent problems it becomes very hard to troubleshoot or test, so if you can borrow either one (TFI module or CCRM) for a short stint then do it.

If you have an aftermarket ignition system try hooking backup the stk. one to rule it out.
Good luck. Michael Plummer

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you have a 94/95, your problem is likely NOT your TFI module. The module went bad a lot in the Fox bodies because it sits right next to the distributor, so it gets very hot. On our cars, it sits near the fender, so it doesnt take much abuse. I would look at changing out your distributor, because the hal effect in them goes out often, and can lead to the car dying when your driving, and the car not restarting in some conditions. I had this problem twice, and both times it was a bad distributor. If your TFI module is bad, your car wont restart for hours, because the module overheats and has to cool down. If its your Distributor, it will sometimes start, and sometimes it wont, and eventually, it wont start at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I do have a 94/95 and I didn't test it out until 2 hours later. I was on my way to class when this happened, came back 2 hours later and the car started. I went to autozone and got a new TFI which i'll put in tommorrow. Hopefully that'll solve things, if it doesn't i guess the distributor is the only other thing then?

How much do distributors cost and is performance one needed or like a stock one will be fine?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I bought my MSD Pro-Billet Distributor from Summit for $275. I like it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have to agree, I had the same problem in my 95. I changed the TFI and it turned out it was the Hal effect sensor.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I agree, I had the same problem and it was the stator in my dist. but I got mine replaced for only 30 bucks, so it might be cheaper to get that fixed, if money is a problem :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you get the stator and what is it exactly? Went to autozone and they had no clue what it was.

·
Registered
543 Posts
When i went through this problem I started by replacing the ignition control module, didnt work, then i replaced the coil, still no fix. I then bought a code scanner, but there is not code for this problem, so after a lot of time, money, and headache, I broke down and took it to a friend a the ford dealership and he hooked it up to the breakout box and it found the problem within mins.

to answer your question, the stator is a little sensor in the lower part of your distributor that tells the ingnition control module when to have the coil fire. and if i inderstand correctly, it must be pressed in and is best left to a shop, or replace the whole dist.
i wasnt there when it was actually replaced, so I cant give much more detail than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts