Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a corner at about 30mph, and as I eased back on the gas nothing happened. It was like the car had stalled... About a half second with my foot still on the gas it kicked back in and I had no other problems that drive...

What could it be?
I ran the codes, all I got was a 96 - Fuel pump secondary circuit failure
which I believe is because I have a cutout switch on my feul pump, and have tried to start the car a few time recently without remembering to flip the switch back on.
I also had about 2/5ths of a tank of gas. I've never had this happend before with even less gas...?

thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
All the gas (what little of it there is at 2/5ths of a tank), might have all sloshed over to the side opposite the pickup, and caused your stall. Have you filled up since it happened? Does it still do it?

I've been so low on gas before that I had to pull the steering wheel back and forth to slosh the gas around to get picked up. Luckily I made it to a gas station before running out!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've most certainly had less gas in the tank before....I will drive the piss out of it today and see if the same thing happens...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK. It died completely as I pulled up to a red light. Cranked and cranked, no start. I had to push it off the road. I tried starting it again, and it fired right up. I then pulled the codes, and there was a code 87 in Memory. I get the code 87 in the KOEO codes if I turn my cut out switch off.

Anyhow, I started it up again about 10 min later, and drove it for all of 30 sec and it died again.

I swung by Ford in a friend's car and picked up a feul pump relay. About an hour later, I tried to start the car again and it fires right up....I drove it 15min home, no problems. Then I drove around my block 5 times, no problems.

I have cleared the codes, and will not touch the cutout again. I will see if this thing happens again, and check the codes. That's all I've got so far.

please share your knowledge

·
Registered
301 Posts
Im thinking fuel pump is going out

In fact, on a 89GT I had, I came around the corner hard, hammered it and it died.

Was a block home. Pushed it home, got some code. Put in a new fuel pump and was good to go.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to verify the feul pump isn't priming if it happens again.

But waiting for it to happen again sucks. I mean, it's summer. I wanna drive around, long trips and whatnot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts