Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Trying to find the source of my popping misfire at low rpms. Also is there a way to check the voltage on the ECT sensor or the TFI (ithink) module to test them and make sure that they are good before replacing them? Is there anything else i should look for. I don't have a vibration, and i know it is not the balancer ----just replaced not long ago. I was also wondering if possibly it is the fuel pump cutting out, that said is there a quick way to check the status of the fuel pump and see how it is working. I've heard tell of a pip sensor or stator inside the dist. as well. what is this?
also please list anything else that it could be and i will weed one thing out at a time until i find the problem

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that i have already replaced the o'2's plugs wires rotor button, dist. cap, timing is set to 10* have a maf a couple of months old new air filter, iat sensor and some other things i cant remember

jason

·
Registered
848 Posts
well you should check your timeing chain first, which is easy done, but putting a braker bar and sockett on the crank and turn it and watch its relationship to the rotor button. second i doubt it will be a bad TFI, but you can take that to advance auto and they can check it for you, for free, you might wana go ahead a put in a stator alot of people yell to change the hole distributor but i never do the gear isnt that hard to get off.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what exactly is the stator, and what does it have to do with the pip or stator ???? im stupid when it comes to ignition, why do you think i need to replace the timing chain, do you think it could be slack enough to break.

thanks

jason

·
Registered
848 Posts
its the hall effect sensor or magnetic pick up in the distributor that refrences injector pulse and spark.

slack in the timing chain has ben known to cause a backfire or poping threw the intake or exhaust at low rpms, the reason it goes away at higher rpms is the slack is taken out of the chain.

on a side note did you do plugs when you did the wires and other tune up stuff?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i will change all this stuff, or at least check it all out

does anyone have an article on changing this thing or can you give me a good demonstration or kinda tell me how its gonna go

jason

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i went to aftermarket, and a pro-m maf

jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts