Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was backing out of work today and it was a little wet out and my tires started to spin but i got a real nasty feeling vibration through the driveline, tranny, and up through the shifter. It felt like i would be able to burn out, but the car was really really not liking it! any explanation for this?!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Not a good idea to try to burn out in reverse. I saw a friend of mine try to do this a few years back,he got major wheel hop and ended up ruining the rear end.
Save your tires.
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
669 Posts
Reverse likes to break during burnouts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't do it.......Don't do it.......I left my house a "little angery" one day, got in my car, started her up and gunned it out of my driveway backwards. The wheels hopped like crazy till I heard a huge explosion from underneath. It was loud as hell. Everyone in my neighborhood came out to see what happened. Well, I totally blew out my reverse and learned a good lesson too. My neighbors hated my 95 because of the loud exhaust so they probably laughed, but it broke my heart. Don't do it.:mad:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm pretty sure the reason that you get this vibration and wheel hop while spinning your tires in reverse is because, your quad shocks are only designed to work in one direction. And that would be forward.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Chopped Liver said:
Don't do it.......Don't do it.......I left my house a "little angery" one day, got in my car, started her up and gunned it out of my driveway backwards. The wheels hopped like crazy till I heard a huge explosion from underneath. It was loud as hell. Everyone in my neighborhood came out to see what happened. Well, I totally blew out my reverse and learned a good lesson too. My neighbors hated my 95 because of the loud exhaust so they probably laughed, but it broke my heart. Don't do it.:mad:
That's the same exact thing I did in my 90 GT. I was angry at my dad and charged out in reverse. I heard a loud bang and my shifter popped out of reverse. I ended up blowing my brand new world class T-5.

Henry

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also blew reverse out in my '93 doing a hasty exit. I dont think that gear was intended to take any kind of abuse.:evil:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh i wasnt TRYING to burn out, just wondered what the vibration was, it wasnt quite wheel hop (didnt feel like it anyways) i wasnt going fast at all, just pulling out of a parking spot and felt it when the tires slipped cuz of the rain. lol after hearing all your horror stories, i'm glad i havent tried to burn out in reverse! i used to do it in my datsun all the time!!!! backwards 180s are the best!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
yes... I also ruined my cobra tranny with a 'hasty' reverse launch.

That thing will snap faster than you can drop your jaw.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one that screwed their transmission. Mine didn't totally blow out though, I just had a really bad grinding noise when moving in reverse with the clutch in. With the clutch out it didn't make any noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts