Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put a new power steering pump on since the old one is leaking, but I can't seem to get the pulley off. Do I need to use an impact to get the little allen wrench thing out? Anyone who has had problems getting the pulley off please help me out. I have the autozone puller, but can't get that allen out to use it correctly.

thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you got the reman pump from a parts store they should be able to swap the pulley. If not you will need to rent or buy the pulley puller. Its bout 18 buks if you buy here is mine. When you reinstall the pulley put alittle oil on the shaft. Don't install it dry.
Yes I had to use the impact wrench to get mine off and back on. If you still have trouble take it back up to autozone and let those guys swap the pulley.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Do a search. There was just a post last week on the same thing. He rented a puller.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would never use a puller. I had a mechanic take the pulley off of my ps pump and it bent the pulley. Go to a junk yard or some place that has the proper equipment for pulling it. They use a different tool.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would never use a puller. I had a mechanic take the pulley off of my ps pump and it bent the pulley. Go to a junk yard or some place that has the proper equipment for pulling it. They use a different tool.
I had no trouble at all with the puller I used. No telling how that guy pulled yours off. The puller I got I see noway it can bend the pulley.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, I did a search before posting, but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong since I couldn't get the pulley off with the puller. My brother ended up going back to Autozone and they spent an hour messing with it to get the pulley off and back on the new pump, aparently even with the impact wrench it was a huge PIA. But thanx everyone for the info, should be all good now.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I got it how the junk yard got the pulley off. They used a hacksaw to saw off the shaft and a center punch to get the top half of the shaft off the pulley. I can see a junk yard doing that. :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts