Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal, i am still in the middle of this headswap and i am putting the driver side head on with the mac longtube header on it and can't get it past the steering shaft thing how in the world do you get by this obstacle it keeps interfering with geting the header in the hole.

Do you have to remove it or is there any way to disconnect it and set it aside. If so. how do you do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
never done a headswap, but i have installed a few sets of longtubes.. to do so, you need to disconnect the steering shaft.. on the bottom side, there is a (i believe it's 10mm) bolt that you can unscrew and pull the steering shaft off the steering rack, that should give you the clearance you will need ;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, so all there is is just that one bolt that you have to take off to get the shaft out of the way and is there any kinks that you know of to getting the passenger side header in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well when i did my header install i dropped the k-member and lowered the engine way down, so my headers went on pretty smooth, i took my starter off to the passener side on, but you probably don't have to, it was a PITA to get back on once the headers were on too. as far as the steering shaft, it's just the one bolt.. you might have tug it towards the firewall quite a bit to get it to pull out, but it will come off the steering rack. good luck

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i need to remove the starter to get the passenger side longtube in the car and also would it be easier to drop the k-member at this time or do you think that i can fit it in there without going through all of that extra trouble of removing the k-member

·
Registered
81 Posts
i removed the starter.. i don't know if you necessarily have to or not. i just found it easier. and again on the k-member, i have heard of people putting them in without removing it, but i found it easier to do it that way. whenever i work on a car, i get as much stuff as possible out of the way to make the job easier, so my advice is remove everything you possibly can without making it too much of a hassel to get it back together, that's what i always do anyhow. if it seems that something is in your way, get it out of the way ;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there any other things that i need to know about the headswap or the lt's install

·
Registered
81 Posts
there are numerous little things you will run into, but nothing terrible, just don't get frustrated and take your time. ;) if ya get lost on something, i'll try to help ya as much as i can and i'm sure the rest of corral will as well. again good luck with it and keep us updated :salute:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
holy **** ford ordered me the wrong bolts and studs for the front cover

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what are the holes in the first primarys for, are you suposed to leave them open or put something in them to close them off like a big allen bolt or something

·
Registered
81 Posts
first primaries? i'm not sure i know which ones your talking about.. i'm assuming the long tubes, but mind didn't have any holes in them.. :confused:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got mac longtubes and on the headers the pipes closest to the front of the car has bungs like o2 sensor bungs or something on them and i cant figure out what they are doing there, where are you from?

·
Registered
81 Posts
ahhhh.. they are probably for the EGR. if they are on both headers (not sure on MAC, but they aren't on the BBK's) you will probably have to get some sort of cap and cap off the passenger side header bung. but make sure they aren't for the 02's first. I'm from NW Ohio, i wish i was closer to ya.. i'd come over and help ya with it, but OK is quite a drive haha

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah it is a little ways but nothing a plane ticket couldn't fix (just kidding) i appriciate all of you help.

the driverside header has a diferent little pipe for the egr. and both of them has o2 sensor bungs at the end by the colector but they have bung type holes at the top of both of them "pipes closest to the front of the car" and cant figure out what they are for. ill start a new thread to see of anyone knows.

as far as the steering shaft thing when you unbolt it do you just pull it toward the fire wall and is it 2 separate little tubes one inside the other that you have to separate or one solid tube.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah i've never heard of holes like that.. i don't know what to tell ya there. the steering shaft (you'll see what i mean when it comes apart) will pull off the steering rack.. there will be a square piece on the steering rack that is holding the steering shaft onto it. when you remove that screw you want to pull it kind of upwards but at a angle. again you'll see what i mean when ya under there, you may have to tug at it a little bit, it's on there pretty tight.. so don't be scared of it, but you don't want to bend it either.. you'll get it fine i'm sure ;) if ya need any other help i'm on here frequently.. if ya still can't figure it out or get lost i'll give ya my # if you want to call and i'll help ya the best i can that way. again good luck with it :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
received

·
Registered
203 Posts
James,
I hope you're taking good notes of all bs your going through so you can come down to Waco to help me when I do mine. LOL!!!
Eric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts