Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got several options here. As of now, my front end cannot be align properly because the FMS "C" springs really lowered the car. (more than what I thought) My front tires are starting to show signs of wear and I dont want to spend money on tires all the time. So my options are...

1. Buy c/c plates and have it aligned (but car will still ride rough until I can get koni's)
2. Get the Koni's and c/c plates. (But car will still sit low)
3. Buy a coil over kit for the front and use koni struts with a 350# spring. (but will the car handle good and will ride quality improve any?)

As you can see.... im stuck between the factory spring-strut setup, or switch to a coil over. I like the idea of the coil over for adjusting ride height, but im still not sure if its going to give me better ride quality and good handling, (like the 650lb C's do....no swaying)

If anyone can give me some insight into this subject, it would be appreciated. Also, would running a wider tire cause clearance issues with the coil overs?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'll 'try' to help...if nothing else it's a bump.
If I were you I'd definitely get a set of quality c/c plates (MaxMotorsports). You should be fine for a while with the C spring and stock struts. I had to get Koni Yellows because my springs are 700-850lb variable rate...stock struts were not an option for me.
My understanding is that coil overs will deminish wheel clearance...but you should be totally fine up to a 245 width tire (maybe higher?).
If you post in the Road Racing forum you may get better info. Good luck

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
who told you it couldn't be aligned?

I run basicly the same springs as do many others and they can certainly be driven fine without th eneed of CC plates.

If you shop said they couldnt get it to _factory_ specs they would be right, but you really dont need it setup to factory specs.

Take the car to a good shop with an experiance front end guy and they can adjust the toe in properly so that tire wear with the excessive camber wont be a problem.

CC plates would be a better option, but if you are lik me and wont be road racing the car then they are prolly a waste of money.

I know some alignment guys freek at lowered mustang because the angle of the a-arm looks so extreme, ignore em!

On another note if you want to raise the front end a little get some energy suspention poly isolators, I gained a good 1/2" with em.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Hmmm..I was just discussing this the other day...

If the alignment guy set your toe properly, like from 0 to 1/8 total toe in, and you're still wearing tires unevenly then you probably could benefit from a camber change. c/c plates are a definite improvement because they fix the top of the strut in place instead of letting it move under changing loads like the stock ones do. Ultimately though I think you'll want to get the ride height back up again. I'm not sold on coilovers yet, I'm not sure everybody's resolved the strut tower loading on these cars so I'm not sure they're absolutely worth the ride-quality improvement they're purported to make. But of the 3 options you listed, IMHO it's the best one. Get the Koni's (or Bilsteins). Get the c/c plates. Ask the people who've owned and reallly used coilovers for an honest assesment. Do some digging. If you like what find, get the coilovers and nt only do you have the ride-height issue solved, you also have the ability to easily and relatively inexpensively change the spring rates and corner weights if you like.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the honest replies.

Right now I already have the energy sus. isolators up front (and rear), but could I benefit (raising ride height) from adding another set to the upper spring perch? If I can gain about an inch in the front, I would be satified, then I could get the koni's and the c/c plates and not worry about coil overs.

The place that told me they could not align it was a reputable shop that did alot of work on my car. The guy told me he could not align it to factory specs, but he did fix the toe to help the tires wear evenly and help them last alittle longer. Heres the strange part....

The guy told me that in order to fix it, I would either have to go back to stock springs or they would have to drill and hack up the strut tower to get the stru to move over more. They wanted $200 to hack it up. I said NO!!!

He asked me why I used springs to lower it and not spindles. I didnt even think they made spindles for lowering a fox. I asked him if c/c plates would help and he said No! Now out of all of the mustang guys I have spoke too, they have all said that c/c plates WILL fix it. Even the alignment guy at a Ford dealership told me they would.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
315 Posts
blk91gt said:
who told you it couldn't be aligned?

CC plates would be a better option, but if you are lik me and wont be road racing the car then they are prolly a waste of money.

Good luck
Now here's the thing, I am not trying to tick you off or flamed any one here.

CC plate are very good for anything, including drag racing or street driving.
On stock plate you got no caster adjustment and very limited camber adjustment. Once you put CC plate [any aftermarket type]
You have wide range of adjustment, also you can increase caster to 3 degrees or more for better stability on drag racing, been there done that, especially when you are running skinny tires on front [either street driving or racing].

I run stock 10 hole LX wheel on my 88 Mustang and I increase my camber to 3.1 degree per side, my car handles like slot car and steered straight as an arrow.[my car is not road racing machine, it is street and strip car].
I also do this for all of my friend's Mustang too, all of them say the car steered better than factory, and wondered why Ford did not do it in the first place.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The two hundred dollars your guy wants to drill a rivet, loosen three bolts and move the stock plate towards the fender (to give you less negative camber) is criminal. The guy is either a crook, or just stupid. Go ahead and do it your self. This will give you more toe in, so you may want to go back and readjust your toe afterwards.

Struts will help the ride, CC plates will help mainly by increasing caster, and locating the strut top better. CC plates double the amount of camber that can be adjusted, but half the adjustment is built into the cars strut towers, and can be used with the stock plate once the rivet is drilled out.

I have Coil overs, and they do a pretty good job of bending CC plates (even MM brand). They do ride nice, and have their benefits.

I'm, going to be running a two spring, true progressive set up on my car, using cut down 4 cylinder springs in the stock location, and xxx lbs. coilovers. This will give me off the line traction better than a stock spring, and a tunable roll stiffness equal to a road race spring. I'm still working on it, so don't have the C/O rate dialed in yet. The down sides will be loss of ride height adjustability (below the height of the stock spring) and a possible loss of bump travel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts