Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the newer castings have cracking problems? Are these good heads? Would they work with standard aftermarket pistons (TRW 2249NF30) or do they require special pistons(like TW's etc..)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Never knew they had a cracking problem. I never had any problems with mine. No special flycuts required.

·
Registered
892 Posts
A guy I know has a set in perfect shape for sale for a killer price if you're looking. His name on here is Holeshot, if u do a search under that name u should be able to find them for sale in the classifieds here on Corral.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are the valves in stock location with stock angles?

Thanks turbocoupe, but I already have a local set in mind, that were ported by FTI.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Canfield Heads use inline valves. They aren't like the twisted wedges. The valves are positioned to line up with the factory piston notches. Nevertheless, watch that P/V clearance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used Canfield (actually FPS Avenger - same thing) heads for about 9 months on my 302 and never was happy with them. They are way too much head unless you have a 331+, blower or nitrous. Unless your planning to use a solid roller cam, short runner intake and spin the thing to 7000rpm don't do it.

I was using these heads on a stock '88 short block with zero problems. Like said before, the valves are centered over the stock relief. The only problem is the stock relief is smaller than 2.02". The valve angle is also stock. The cam I had / have is a custom made cam from Ford Performance Solutions with valve events designed to give adequate clearance with stock pistons. A stock cam will work without question. ANY performance cam needs to be checked as a couple degrees in valve events can turn into big problems.

One thing I didn't like was the shape of the intake port openings. They are as tall as a Felpro 1262, but considerably narrower. I had to remove quite a bit of material to gasket match. Anyone who uses these heads should match this, otherwise it's a huge obstruction going from the intake manifold to the head.

FYI, last August I changed the heads to TFS and am a million times happier with them and with no other changes saw 25 more Hp to the tire and jumped from 106 to 110 in the 1/4. The only modification to the TFS was an intake and exhaust gasket match.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The canfields are ported by FTI though, not home gasketmatched(gasket matching is not the way to do it btw)

I can't run trickflows, I would have to cut a lot into the piston. Otherwise I probably would.

Another question... are they 351 bolt size or 302 bolt size(head bolts)?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
allan5oh said:
The canfields are ported by FTI though, not home gasketmatched(gasket matching is not the way to do it btw)
Oh give me a break. Like you're the head-porting expert all of a sudden? :rolleyes:

You drove your stock engine into the ground and you're trying to tell someone how to port heads? Give me a break.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh god paul, not you too.

Ask any head porting "Expert", gasket matching is not the way to go.

And what does my old engine have to do with this? Wow, I drove a 302 with low oil pressure, I must know nothing.

Is this where I get flamed by other "members" paul?

Blue88notch... im curious about when you changed the heads... did you change anything else? Do you really advise against using canfields? Pretty much my only other option are AFR's. The canfields im looking at already have good solid roller springs and are a couple hundred cheaper then new AFR's (with weaker springs)

And to answer your question, the combo is a vic jr intake, pop up TRW pistons(would be about 11.5:1 with the heads) and would probably spin pretty high. I do plan on getting rods/crank(those are stock currently). I also have a c4 with a 4000 stall. Not going to be a "daily driver".

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you really want to know, the reason you get flamed on here by virtually everyone that knows/knows of you is because you come on here and give information to people when you don't know what you're talking about most of the time. Thats why.

If some head porter told you thats not how you do it, then say it that way. Don't make it sound like you've been porting forever and know whats best.

It was only run a few hundred miles low on oil, probably just didn't notice the knocking, right?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So because I didn't word something the way you would like it I get flamed?

btw the engine was never starved of oil. Can I prove it? no. Do I really care? no. The oil pressure sending unit broke and was spraying oil after we left for CD. The engine NEVER "knocked". It never blew. Just had low oil pressure.

And if I did "know everything" I wouldn't be asking for advice would I?

I also only seem to get flamed by a "certain group". No need to elaborate on this. Seems that "certain group" just wants my posts locked. Real mature.

If you would like to discuss this any further, please take it to PM. Any further replies to this post will be ignored.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
i'd reply but you'd just ignore it

·
Registered
535 Posts
allan5oh said:

Another question... are they 351 bolt size or 302 bolt size(head bolts)?
Either one. For a 302 you need the washers for 7/16" which fit down in the holes. For a 351 (1/2")you use a flat washer.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The Canfields do have an odd shape intake port. My Vic Jr. was larger on the side of the ports but smaller on the top and bottom. I did match the port to a 1250 and worked out perfect for alignment. I run these on a DSS 306 10:1 compression, small hyd. roller cam, .500 lift, 230 duration. An run low 12's @ 112. You just don't want to hog'em out for this type of application. But, if you run them hogged out on a 306, spinning it to 7500 rpm's with a solid roller, then you'll be OK.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Allan,

I'm not sure about fitament issues, but you can't think of those heads as *just* Canfields. If Ed Curtis did the port work (which I'm pretty sure he did), then you're looking at an amazing deal... most people have to wait quite a while to get Ed to work on their parts. He's always busy cause he knows how to cut heads and cams that make amazing power.

Also keep in mind what those heads were designed for (331, huge shot of nitrous, pretty big camshaft). They may not perform quite as well on your motor if you don't have all the other pieces.

Lastly, why not give Flowtech a call and ask Ed about the specs, and what his opinion is. www.flowtechinduction.com

·
Registered
267 Posts
paul351w said:
If you really want to know, the reason you get flamed on here by virtually everyone that knows/knows of you is because you come on here and give information to people when you don't know what you're talking about most of the time. Thats why.

If some head porter told you thats not how you do it, then say it that way. Don't make it sound like you've been porting forever and know whats best.

It was only run a few hundred miles low on oil, probably just didn't notice the knocking, right?
This is ****ing hilarious:)

Paul is the type of person that wont say **** if his mouth is full of it, and to see this makes me proud:D

For those of you who have not had to meet Allan, ........

be thankful.

When reading posts where allan is giving people advice, my advice to you all is to disregard anything he says... he is absolutely clueless.

How many people will use a torque wrench to try and loosen the crank bolt by jumping on the handle?

Mind you it may have worked better if he was not trying to tighten it at the time:lol:

In closing I will not bother trying to answer allan (I spent a year trying to do that yet he ignored anything he was told only to find that he should have listened in the first place):rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh Allan

BTW Paul has forgotten ten times what allan will ever know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts