Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched for this but couldn't find a good thread. Most people either remove it or bypass it. I'd like to get rid of those stupid smog lines, but leave the pump intact in case I need it later. Also I could care less about shaving 10lbs off the front end. Will it ruin it to plug it up but leave the pulley spinning on it? I just paid $35 for a new belt, so buying another just to bypass it is out of the question.

·
Registered
214 Posts
best thing to do would be to get a smog pump delete pulley. from like steeda or upr. if u leave the smog pump on it pluged up it could mes it up. so take it off put that smog delte pulley on there and u will be set to go. put the smog pump up and keep it or whatevedr u want to do. u can still use the stock length belt with the delte pulley also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can do one of two things.
1. Take the smog pump apart and remove the internals.
2. Get a smog pump eliminator (I got mine from upr).

·
Registered
51 Posts
texsn95,

I have a smog pump delete pulley for my 95GT that I no longer use. If you'd like to buy it, I'd sell it to you for $25 + shipping. It's in great condition. I had it on my car, but when I had to get a smog test, I just left the smog pump on. Let me know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I left my smog pump on just not plumbed, and it made a pulsating sound. You could hear the air being pumped from it. I doubt if it would hurt it any, because the air is still being pumped but it got old fast listening to it. You would be better off taking it off the car.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i left mine, i dont see how it could cause any damage. mine doesnt make any noise, at least i cant hear it over my noisy rockers and exhaust leaks

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks rmquake, I'll keep that in mind. I took the bracket and pump off tonight and I might just cap off the nipple. But I'm curious to see how it works, maybe I'll tear it apart.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmm, well, if I cap off the nipple for the time being, will it explode? LOL. There is also a small hole (pen size) through the rear of the casing that goes all the way inside. And it looks so much better already with all that ****in piping gone. I can't wait to see how it looks with everything black.

·
Registered
950 Posts
texsn95..I did the same thing to mine...I found a wood dowel that fit inside that S shaped hose...slid it in flush, cut it flush, and clamped it...done deal...no leaks...the mother does make some racket pumping and all when its open...

Originally i found a rubber cap...Sweet, its fits perfect....Take it for a ride....bout a mile from home, im getting in to it, and, POW....W.T.F.???? Popped the home back home...Viola...big melted hole in my rubber homey cap....So yes, it does explode....

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My pump housing is in the scrap yard now :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine stayed hooked up for quite a while. Now it just sits idle in the engine compartment. However, it did make a bunch rattly and clanging type sounds a few weeks before I yanked all the plumbing to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts