Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my question might be a little confusing, I can't remember if both the heads and the block have to be machined for o-rings or lockwire? I know one you have to do both and I think the other is just a small o-ring that goes along with the gasket correct? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
O-rings and Loc-Wire are 2 different things. Loc-Wire is a product name of a head gasket made by FelPro (part #1006). When using it, you must machine the heads only for a receiver groove per FelPro's instructions.

O-ringing is a process. There are a couple of ways do do it. You can have a groove gut into the heads or block and have stainless wire imbedded in the groove (usually .050" diameter wire). You can also have a reciever groove for the wire cut into the opposite part (head or block, depending on where you put the wire). Some people go with just the stainless wire, others have the wire and opposite reciever groove. Mine has both but I am using copper gaskets and can only use them with this arrangement. My friend has just the wire and can use either copper or regular gaskets but the seal is not as good this way, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I thought I knew, I knew one had to do with the gasket, the purpose of my question was I have a good opportunity to purchase a set of TW heads that are cut for the o-ring at a fairly good price. But If I had to machine the block too, then I dont think it would have been cost effective. So all I need is the stainless steel ring for the groove and a gasket that is as thick of whats left over from the ring correct? I know it would seal better having both the head and the block machined but at this time I don't want to pull my motor out. Should I just get a regular set of heads instead?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
You need to find out if the heads were cut for the FelPro 1006 Loc-Wire gaskets or for a stainless wire. The groove's are not the same design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.