Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard alot of gray area comments aren't very helpful. Can someone explain what the #'s 60-1 mean?...how about HiFi? Are there any similarities w/a T-60 turbo?

I held this turbo up to a freinds t3/t4 and the hot side seemed way bigger on mine but the small side seemed much smaller:confused: ...that was a turbo that was being used on a Honda Prelude kit...the guys I talked to thought the 60-1 was a pretty small turbo, and they didn't understand why the hot side is bigger and the cold side being smaller...???

The turbo is off a TTI single kit for 94/95 gt's....I'm content w/it being a beginner turbo, but still want to know more about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My turbo is quite a bit smaller than a 60-1. You won't have any trouble at all making 400rwhp on 6psi or so. The 60-1 has a 4" inlet and a 3" outlet. The HiFi is a 3" inlet and a 2" or 2.5" outlet but otherwise the same turbo. My turbo has a 3" inlet and the inside diameter of the outlet is 1 3/4". :eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't worry, you have an actual 60-1 hifi. I have the same turbo on my LX (it's actually an ITS 60-1 hifi, but they're the same). Although the compressor section looks small compared to what some of the import guys run, I can assure you that it WILL flow enough to make good power. My car is making 480rwhp on a mustang dyno with one of these and pump gas at 12psi. By the numbers, this turbo should be good up to about 65lb/min or roughly 640 engine hp before it's "too small". The side benefit of running this turbo instead of say a T66, is that the lower end and midrange come up much quicker and it spends more time in the "sweet spot" of the compressor map where it is more efficient. I guess if your definition of a "beginner" turbo is one that supports over 500rw on a dynojet, this one would be "OK". :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
302_plus_a_few said:
The 60-1 has a 4" inlet and a 3" outlet. The HiFi is a 3" inlet and a 2" or 2.5" outlet but otherwise the same turbo.
I agree with all above :D
I remember when I got my 60-1 and looking at it thinkin "humph, this thing isn't much bigger then a T-3!" Sure enough, the cartridge from the 60-1 fit right inside a t-3 housing! Pretty easy to make t-3/t-4 hybrids Garrets ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't trying to label this as a beginner turbo, I've just been hearing things that would imply that, that's all...sorry if it came out the wrong way. Thank for the input everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts