Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search, and read the write ups. im just not electrically smart. i wired up my 3g like pa-performance said to. people have told me thats wrong. that i run risk of damage. so heres a couple of questions.

1. the 2 black/orange wires are power wires?
2. i don't connect them to the post on the back do i?

basically its like this. i have a 4gauge wire with fuse. do i not connect the 2 black/orange wires, and just connect the 4guage with fuse to the positive battery side? and the white wire is used with the pigtail connector? and then the last oval connector is simply plugged in from the stock alt? i hope i didn't confuse anybody. if you guys need to know what ive done, i'll be happy to post pics of my setup as is, and you guys can tell me what i need to do. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Make it easy on yourself and do what I did.. buy the $12.95 1 wire hookup from them.. it was so easy, it was a joke..

it completely does away with your existing alternator harness. I had this 3G hooked up in no time at all with the harness they sell.

It plugs into the alternator, and had 3 wires. The yellow loops to the post (+b) on the alternator, along with the 4 guage wire that runs to the battery, the white wire plugs into the stator connection, and you give a 12v+ on key forward to the Green/red connection. (this turns the alternator on and off)

http://www.pa-performance.com/windowShop.asp?sku=28&rP=searching,[email protected]+Wires+&+Plugs,[email protected],[email protected]

·
Corral Charter Member
1,043 Posts
flatacid said:
i did a search, and read the write ups. im just not electrically smart. i wired up my 3g like pa-performance said to. people have told me thats wrong. that i run risk of damage. so heres a couple of questions.

1. the 2 black/orange wires are power wires?

Yes

2. i don't connect them to the post on the back do i?

You don't have to. I simply cut them where they join into a single orange-black wire, taped off the end, and left it there, then ran a six gauge wire to the where the orange black wire runs - to the positive side of the starter solenoid in back of the battery - or, ig you're lazy, you can hook it to the positive terminal of the battery.

and the white wire is used with the pigtail connector?

The oval connector goes where the other oval conenctor came from. The white wire goes to the stud on the back of the 3G. Just get a spade lug connector from any parts store.

Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. so im still not getting it. cut the 2 black/orange wires where they join into one, and tape it off i get.

next. i have a 4guage with fuse already hooked up to the positive side of the starter relay and the post on the back of the alt. do i just move the end thats on the relay over to the positive side of the battery terminal?

and im gonna take a pick of what i did for the white wire. i'll post it up later. but the pa kit came with this pigtail type connection. i cut the original white wire, crimpened the new wire with pig tail onto it, then plugged it in.

tell me if this sounds ok. thanks in advance.

·
15,477 Posts

I just installed this a couple days ago.

The Oval 3 wire connector, you just leave that alone, and plug it into the new alternator.

The 3 wire connector that has 2x black/orange stripe and white/black stripe (looks brown on mine), you cut that connector off. Then you crimp/solder the 2 ring terminals onto both black/orange wires, and those will mount on one side of the post on the back of the alternator.

The White/black wire left, you crimp the supplied white wire with the connector onto that, and plug it into the only place it'll go onto the alternator.

The 4 Gauge power cable, the end w/o the fuse connects to the back of the alternator on the same post as the black/orange wires, but on the opposite side, all 3 won't fit on the same side. The other end hooks up on the solenoid I believe it is, on the fender, the side with all the other wires...

Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
713 Posts
learn about the voltage sensing wire also, i think i fried me eec when i removed that. but im not positive

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave88LX said:

I just installed this a couple days ago.

The Oval 3 wire connector, you just leave that alone, and plug it into the new alternator.

The 3 wire connector that has 2x black/orange stripe and white/black stripe (looks brown on mine), you cut that connector off. Then you crimp/solder the 2 ring terminals onto both black/orange wires, and those will mount on one side of the post on the back of the alternator.

The White/black wire left, you crimp the supplied white wire with the connector onto that, and plug it into the only place it'll go onto the alternator.

The 4 Gauge power cable, the end w/o the fuse connects to the back of the alternator on the same post as the black/orange wires, but on the opposite side, all 3 won't fit on the same side. The other end hooks up on the solenoid I believe it is, on the fender, the side with all the other wires...

Hope this helps.

Dave
that is exactly what i did. but, people from the boards have told me this isn't a safe way to hook it up.

for everyone who can point me in the right direction- i wired my alt just like the picture above. now, do i just cut the 2 black/orange wires where they become one, then tape it off? then run the 4gauge w/fuse from the back of the alt, to the positive battery post? thanks in advance.

dave-thanks for posting a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts