Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if everything works out right, I should be going to Indy, to Kenny Brown's next week. They wanna take a look to see why my sway bar is hanging so low, and possibly replace a few things, if it is, indeed, an issue that their parts are responsible for.

Anyways, I figure that while I am there, it would be a VERY good time to get the Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix subframe connectors welded in. I know Kenny Brown is reputable, but it seems like I've heard a lot of smack around here talked about towards Kenny Brown.

I just wanted to see if anyone could CONVINCE me to get these, or if you could tell me WHY NOT TO!! Thanks for the input!!!! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love mine. I can definitely feel a difference in chassis stiffness. Also the jacking rails come in handy whenever you're rotating tires, bolting on the drag radials, or just need to crawl under the car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Another satisfied customer here. I got the whole deal a couple years ago (xtream matrix/j-rails) once I put my blower in. My car has very little twist even with 322 lb/ft through DR's on a vert. I'd get it done while there since they have lots of experience installing them. They are a bit pricey though as I remember.

Marty

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree, price is the main factor not to. the other is most companies that make torque arms recommend a larger sub frame connector in order to take the stresses that the TA imposes. MM does sell a reinforcement kit for the KB SBCs. I am happy with mine except Im now considering a TA.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do it! I had my KB Extreme Matrix kit with the Super Subs welded up this week, and the difference is night and day.

Not only are the flex and cowl shake gone, but the the F/R weight distribution is improved, so the car feels more balanced. Additionally, the resonant frequency of the chassis is now about an octave lower than before, giving the impression of a stouter build. Even a door slam sounds better.

T-

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drew00GTsc said:
I agree, price is the main factor not to. the other is most companies that make torque arms recommend a larger sub frame connector in order to take the stresses that the TA imposes. MM does sell a reinforcement kit for the KB SBCs. I am happy with mine except Im now considering a TA.
I don't think I'll ever get a torque arm, but if I ever do, at least there is a way to adapt to it. Also, I believe I would wind up getting this whole setup for right around $450 installed. Is this about the norm?? I get the "special price" they're running on the subs right now, and then a 10% discount on top of that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The KB subframes work just fine with a torque arm, read sig. Maybe if you didn't install their entire kit it would be a problem. I've been launching my car on ET Streets for a while now and no problems to speak of what so ever. I spoke with Griggs about the KB's before I bought the torque arm and John said it was not a issue. Maybe MM is trying to sqeeze a few extra bucks outta people or their torque arm is deisgned in such a way that it's needed.

They are on the expensive side so you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the extra money.

·
390 Posts
96_Stang_99 said:

I don't think I'll ever get a torque arm, but if I ever do, at least there is a way to adapt to it. Also, I believe I would wind up getting this whole setup for right around $450 installed. Is this about the norm?? I get the "special price" they're running on the subs right now, and then a 10% discount on top of that.
I paid $350 for them (SuperSubs, Matrix kit and Jacking Rails) with shipping and $200 to have them welded in...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like I'm about on par with you, unless the $495 quote was just for the subs only?? :confused: Their website blows!!! :rolleyes:

·
390 Posts
96_Stang_99 said:
Sounds like I'm about on par with you, unless the $495 quote was just for the subs only?? :confused: Their website blows!!! :rolleyes:
I'm sure that includes install... Like I said, my kit was $299 + $10 to "super-size" them + approximately $40 to ship. The welding was a bit pricey cause no one in Vegas knows how to do subs...

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you go over to "corner carvers" you will find that that bunch thinks that KB stuff's is P.O.S.

HOWEVER, I feel different. I must agree with the other answers here.

I put them on my 99 Cobra, the sub-frame connectors, matix brace, and jacking rails. The stuff works!

Best part is the matix brace location gives the fuel lines on the passenger side protection. And the jacking rails are worth their weight in gold when it comes time to jack your car up.

I did remove the side skirts on my Cobra so the guy at the weld shop did not have to deal with them. Before you get them welded on go pick up a can of real good spray paint at Home Depot or Lowes to match the color of your car and paint the crap out of them when the car is in the air.

Enjoy

NFS

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine are great. You can't go wrong with them and your price is pretty good!!!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tirefryr said:
took me for a tour of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, And bought me lunch. Not a bad deal huh?!

Summbiitch!!! I could only wish that they'd do me THAT much of a favor!!! Its cool enought that they're gonna take a look at my LCA's/swaybar/TracKit brackets and see if there's any issues there for free (even though me and a friend did the install :D) But still, I'm pretty sure I won't get the tour. Just shafted with a $450 bill. :(

:D

·
Registered
872 Posts
While any subframe connector is better than none, you'd be better off with a full-length connector, like the MM or GW one.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
99SaleenS281 said:
While any subframe connector is better than none, you'd be better off with a full-length connector, like the MM or GW one.
But they don't have a comparable "Extreme Matrix Brace," do they??? Why do you not like the Kenny Brown stuff??? I'm sure it would be pretty comparable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
KB stuff is good. But when I went to buy sub frames for my car. I compared the KB sub frames next to the Griggs sub frames. What a saw was a big difference in thickness.
The Griggs where much thicker. So I went with the Griggs kit. I also learned that the Griggs sub frames and also the Maximum Motor sub frames are as wide at the chassis welding points. Form what I'm told this is important because the sub frames are welded to the corners of the chassis. The KB unit welds to the underside of the chassis. Which is the flat part. It is better and stronger (Less flex) to weld to the outer corners and not the thin metal underside if the chassis.
I'm not trying to rip KB products. I really don't want to upset anyone. You ask and I thought you might want to know what I learned.
If I were in your shoe's. I would call Griggs and Maximum Motor Sport and ask them what they think about what you want to do. It can't hurt. And if anything you come out a smarter consumer. Let them tell you the weak point about KB products. And do the same to KB. Ask them what they think about Griggs and MM. What are there week points.
Again this is just my .02. It's my angle on how I see things. I don't think you are making a mistake in buying KB produces. But I do feel myself that Griggs and MM is a better produce.

Good Luck
Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.