Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Running an x pipe w/out cats and a P1sc. I don't hve the Mil eliminators yet. Can that cause my engine to run lean up top. It just started doing it again. Thought I had this thing fix---damn
any help appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
mil's

As far as I know, the only thing that mil eliminators do is keep the check engine light from coming on. I don't think they have any performance value.

·
Registered
642 Posts
No Performance Value.

However, if you don't run them, your MIL will always be on, and if something else goes wrong with your vehicle, you won't know about it.

Cost vs convenience vs peace of mind.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought that if the PCM trip a MIL, it richens the fuel, hereby decreasing the performance?

·
Registered
642 Posts
JgASOHC said:
I thought that if the PCM trip a MIL, it richens the fuel, hereby decreasing the performance?
Completely not true in relation to the rear o2 sensors. The rear o2 sensor is merely a cat monitor and plays no role in engine control. You can remove your rear o2 sensors, and your car will run exactly the same (if you plug the holes) if you want to put up with your check engine lamp.

There's alot of wives tales out there, and this is one of the biggest.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can tell you this from experiance. When I put my MILs on they made the car idle smoother and run smoother. Before, if I reved the motor, when the RPM's came down it was real rough like wwwhhooooooooommmmm (on the way up) blah blah blah pow blah (on the way down). Now when the RPM's come down it's smooth like the way it was going up! (excuse my example) So can someone tell me what that means???? Was I running rich before the MILs????

·
Registered
106 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
From what I've heard if your check engine light is on the car runs in a 'safe mode' (pulls timing and richens the mixture to protect the motor). Can't swear to it but that's what I was told.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cats Fan..... got any sound clips??? If so, post.... not be a smarty pants , but would seriously like to hear your setup.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hmm

mil eliminators consist of 2 wires, a resistor and a capacitor and some heat shrink tubing, I could probably just make a ton of them and sell em on ebay! I saw an auction on yahoo and it was $19 already.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
blue00gt said:
From what I've heard if your check engine light is on the car runs in a 'safe mode' (pulls timing and richens the mixture to protect the motor). Can't swear to it but that's what I was told.
This only happens in severe cases. Not all cases cause an engine to operate in "limp mode" or "safe mode." Not all codes that cause the MIL to illuminate affect performance either. It may only be an emissions device such as an EVAP Flow Sensor that failed. The biggest hurdle for the manufactures is to meet or exceede the emissions mandate. In no way would the design dictate that the engine run rich or "limp home" if the cats or EVAP flow sensor are not working properly.

Rear O2s have no effect on perfomance. They monitor emission devices specifically the cats. If your car runs better it is either by coincedence or in your mind you wanted it to run better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Roundeye82: I don't have any sound clips but I get tons of compliments on the way it sounds.

Slithering_Joe: I DON'T think my car runs faster w/ the MIL's but I think it runs smoother and idles better, that's what I'm trying to say......

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
CatsFan00GT said:
Slithering_Joe: I DON'T think my car runs faster w/ the MIL's but I think it runs smoother and idles better, that's what I'm trying to say......
I know what you are trying to say. no offense, but the rear O2s make no difference in driveablilty. I've been staring at a catalyst-related-code-triggered-brightly-illuminated-MIL lamp for the last month and I can honestly say that my idle, gas mileage and performance is completely unaffected.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I agree with Slithering Joe on this one, as we have a vast amount of knowledge on this subject. Rear o2 sensors play no role in engine control for the 1996-2004 Ford vehicles. This may change in the future withh 2005+ vehicles, but as of now, they are merely cat monitors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts