Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make installing my motor as easy as possible. Who here has done this with the tranny and headers bolted up?

Is it not possible from experience?

·
USAF retired
9,153 Posts
I put mine in with longtubes and bellhousing, starter attached, I'm not sure about tranny. It is for sure easier if you've got one of those load levelers.

David

·
USAF retired
9,153 Posts
No, I left that hooked up as well, if I can do it with a 351 I see no reason why you couldn't with a 302 unless your headers are way different; I've got BBKs.

David

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
FWIW I can't imagine installing a motor with the longtubes attached. But if SuperIrish has done it than it must be possible. IMHO it might be easier to install the bellhousing/trans but leave the headers uninstalled. Then while the motor/tranny is almost installed but still hanging from the hoist use this flexibility (w/hoist) to slide in the longtubes. Thats what I've always found to work best.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am probably gonna do one or the other....thanks guys.

I have a load leveler (my buddy under the car with his hand on the tranny tailshaft)

·
Registered
129 Posts
STREETPOWER EFI 331 said:
FWIW I can't imagine installing a motor with the longtubes attached. But if SuperIrish has done it than it must be possible. IMHO it might be easier to install the bellhousing/trans but leave the headers uninstalled. Then while the motor/tranny is almost installed but still hanging from the hoist use this flexibility (w/hoist) to slide in the longtubes. Thats what I've always found to work best.

I install my 351W with the longtubes attached. The passenger side header lays very close to the frame...there's no way to get it in after the motor has been installed. It's actually not too bad. I tried installing with the trans attached once, but I ended up poking a hole in the garage ceiling..couldn't get the assembly high enough to clear the rad support. I've installed the motor with the longtubes every time. Sometimes I used a loadlevler, other times not. It's a little easier with a leveler.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I am with Streetpwr, hook the tranny up and when the engine is being lowered down place the headers in, then finish lowering. Its much easier to bolt the headers on then the tranny!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree with STREETPOWER EFI 331. I have BBK longtubes on my 89. I would attach the trans. and lower the engine into place. Once it is a few inches above the motor mounts I would install the longtubes and then drop it in. I had to lift my motor to install my longtubes.

·
USAF retired
9,153 Posts
I forgot to add that I had the back of the car up about 4" and the front on the ground, that seemed to help having that extra angle.
Just try and experiment with whatever you want to try. People said it couldn't be done what I did, but I wanted to see for myself and I did it.

David

·
Registered
563 Posts
I installed my 306 with bell houseing, Tremec 3550, shifter base, starter, and BBK 1-3/4" long tubes all installed. Used the stock motor mounts, and the steering shaft was hooked up to. The motor never touched a thing on the way in and it took me all of 15 minutes to do. Gotta love that load leveler :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
no problem...

I put my 393 in with all the excessories including the belt, McLeod scatter shield, tremec 3550, mac 1 3/4 long tubes... CAKE.

I just had to take out the steering shiaft and jacked the rear of the car up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts