Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vortech s-trim on my 1998 S-351 (5.8 L) has that bag of rocks rattling sound at idle. I am sure you all know what it sounds like. For awhile I loved it but now the novelty has kinda worn off a bit. I was wondering if I upgraded the head unit to an SQ trim, if it is possible, would that loud rattling idle sound be gone? How much does it cost? Are there any mods/tune changes I would need?

p.s. I have a video/sound clip if someone can host it for me.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You can exchange it at Vortech. Here's the link to their exchange page:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/tech/exprogv-2.html

You can also shop around on the Corral classifieds or EBay and see if you can just buy a SQ Trim and sell yours. That'll probably give you the best bang for your buck since Vortech is pretty stingy.

Henry

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did the exchange (A-trim for SQ-trim). It cost me about $700. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do what HPLouis suggested.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TM88GT: was it a direct swap? Was it quieter? That's what I am looking for. I hope it uses the same pulley and pushes the same amount of boost....what happened in your situation?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Snyper5.8 said:
TM88GT: was it a direct swap? Was it quieter? That's what I am looking for. I hope it uses the same pulley and pushes the same amount of boost....what happened in your situation?
When I upgraded, I bought a used SQ and sold my old one. with the same pulleys you'll get around 1-2 more pound of boost. I'm guessing that's due to the step up ratio (3.45 for S and 3.6 for SQ). It's a direct swap. Both S and SQ are the same dimensions.

Henry

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can testify that the SQ is a very quiet blower. With the top down and radio on at normal listening volume I forget it's even there. Other than that the blowers are very similiar. Like HPLouis said, I believe the only difference is the step up ratio. The helical cut gears in the SQ are what make it quiet.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tried to call vortech. I was on hold for 20 minutes so I had to hang up.

I am checking out the classified's. Will any SQ trim from any year work? I see them listed for all years. My 98 S351 used the 94/95 setup.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Any year, except for the modulars since they're reverse rotation, will work. My SQ was for the 89-93 car. I had to re-clock the blower. Basically, loosent he allen screws and turn the blower to get it to line up so I can fit it on my car.

Henry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Snyper5.8 said:
Yes it as a direct swap. My A-trim had 8rib pulleys and made 8 psi for boost. With the same size pulley the SQ made 10-12psi, but the boost came on much sooner in the rpm band. And this thing is so quiet, I forget it's there.....that is until I mash the throttle.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
was the a-trim loud like a bag of rocks like my s-trim?

I am going to upgrade asap, which year should I buy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts