Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the stock bottom end take a 150 or 175 shot of nitrous? i ordered the kit with the bigger power wing nozzle letting me experiment with 125, 150, or 175. I have heard that the stock pistons and other lower end parts may not support a higher shot of nitrous on a regular basis. i will modify the fuel system to keep up with the higher demand, but don't want to blow the motor over a few, well 75 is alot, but u get the point don't want to rebuid a motor over a greedy decision. i can find other ways to make that power just not as cheap, fast, easy,and part time as a higher nitrous jetting. just want some input from people that may be running or have ran 150 or more with a stock set up in the block.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i would say 150 is the max with stock pistons. there are people who've done more, but its on you if you wanna take the risk.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well here is the deal. If you have a stock 94,95 bottom end. You have the hyperutectic pistons which its not advised to go over a 100 shot with. There are plenty of guys running the 150 shot with no problems but it is a risk and they will tell you that they know it is!!

On a side note. If you really think you can hold out and get the power NA that would be best(ie heads cam intake etc) I would do that. I have a 75 shot on my cobra and its fun to play around with the system armed but as soon as the bottle runs out or you deactivate the system it leaves you wanting that power level all the time!!! Im in that boat right now. I love the way the car behaves when the nitrous activates and I want it all of the time!!!

OH TO ONLY HAVE A built, head, cam motor!!! :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Jplayer said it very, very well.
It is very hard to argue with his advice as he correctly explained, you can run it but the risk is yours. And, the risk is your motor.

The question you have to ask yourself is "Do you feel lucky?".

·
Registered
119 Posts
150 OR MORE

The bottom end can handle it. I have a buddy that has two stages of 150 on his daly driver and it runs low 7's in the 1/8th and the motor is totaly stock except for the fuel system. The only problem that he has had is when the motor was not getting enough fuel it blew a head gasket. So I would suggest that you up grade your fuel system and shoot no more than 175. As long as you are not shooting it from every stop light you will be fine. I had a 150 shot on my car with about 60,000 miles on it for about a year and shoot it every weekend with the stock fuel system and never had any problems. Its was fun, just change your spark plugs to Autolite 24's and gap them at a bout 35. It works!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ran a dry kit w/ 175 shot on my '94.

did melt a couple plugs because they are too hot a range. changed to a TR-6 and zero problems.

make sure you retard the timing and have enough fuel pump and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The hyperpathetic pistons aren't the strongest, but wo/ detonation, I've seen a few cars take lots o boost or juice with the hyper pistons in a stock block. If you know what you're doing with the fuel and timing, should be ok ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

this is what i was after both sides and real people with the same setup that have done it and done fine or blown up. I just bought the car 3 months ago and can't build mysel a nitrous motor from scratch. want to have fun, alot of fun with what i have. i live in a apartment and can't be under the hood with the whole motor apart and a spare being built on the stand as much as i would love to. i have 2 live takiing a few hundred out of each paycheck if i am lucky. love the power the 100 shot gives and want to see what over 100 feels like, but know i cannot have it all the time, almost enjoy the differance in the way the motor acts it gives me sense of accomplishment that i can really feel what i installed my research and time paid off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can do it, but you have to be smart about it. You need to moniter fuel pressure, and listen for detonation. I ran 150-175 for 3 years.... hundreds of pounds of nitrous. I did melt 2 plugs along the way, but I also switched to the tr-6's, and had no problems afterwards. I also had all the gadgets... msd multi retard to pull timing when I hit the juice... an msd 6al with a rev limiter... and all the gauges. I always ran on sunoco 94 octane.

BUT, like mentioned above... it is your car, and it is your risk. Breaking is sometimes the price we have to pay for speed!! You will need to upgrade your fuel pump if you have a stocker pump.

I am not running nitrous anymore... building a supercharged 357... but if you have any questions feel free to email me. I don't mind helping someone out!

good luck!
Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tr-6s? I already bought the upgrade kit it should come bout the same time as the fuel pressure safety swich. am considering a superchips flip chip so i may have best of both worlds. have already used some suggestios for places to upgrade my fuel system cheap but effectivly and when it all comes i will be asking advice on timing and gauges, the only gauge i have so far is nitrous and its a bottle mount.keep the advice and reallife experiance comming i am learning so my, things i can even apply today. just bought some autolite 24's ans my blanket and gauge, plus a new nitrous line with all 90's on the fittings to eliminate any kinks i had in the lines when a friend underestimated our hood clearance with the valve straight up on the power wing nozzle. this is all a learning experience for me i have to learn little thing can make a huge differane both good and bad. ran it tonight ran better than ever. ask a guy in a new mercades coupe he was impressesed but do not feel ready for the bigger guy with only the 100 shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts