Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fox was painted about 6 years ago and since then pretty much every panel has the clear bubbling off of it. Every paint shop I have been to has said anywhere from 3-4k to repaint the entire thing.

I could be off but that just seems high. I have no auto body skills but was wondering what all going into stripping the parts of the old paint. Or should I just nutt up and let a pro do it. Man 4 grands could have be a nice engine build.

·
Registered
224 Posts
find a maaco. they should be able to do it way cheaper and its good work

·
Registered
51 Posts
yea if he wants his paint to fly off going down the rode.Its not that difficult to sand down your stang,go to bare medal you cant screw that up as far as the paint let a pro do it.Save yourself some cash and sand yourself

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
yes you can sand your self. get a DA sander and go to town!

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I can use an Orbital Sander for the metal but what about my fiberglass hood and the body moldings and such? Sorry I have NO experience with this, but I would like to try it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I can use an Orbital Sander for the metal but what about my fiberglass hood and the body moldings and such? Sorry I have NO experience with this, but I would like to try it.
Use paint stripper on everything you want bare metal, go over everything with 80 grit on a DA sander, do all your mouldings with red scotchbrite, once its stripped prime it, then block it with 320

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't recomend using a chemical paint stripper on a car "unless" you want to take it down to bare metal and thats your goal. Just keep in mind that the bare metal will need to be treated quickly before the work can start. "More cost"
The stripper will also remove any previous body work possibly creating alot of extra work. "More Cost"

Do like most have said and take a DA or orbital and sand it down past the bad/bubbling paint job only. I usually try to sand it down to the original paint and/or stop sanding just before bare the metal. Then start over from there.

You mention that you don't have any experience in paint and body work. I don't know you and I'm not knocking you. But, a paint job is only as good as the person doing it. Prep for a paint job is "more" important than the paint.

If you feel up to the task, go for it. Never too late to learn. Just take your time and continue to ask many questions during the project. You'll get many different opinions so you can choose whats right for you.

To tell the truth $4K is not too bad for an entire repaint from a reputable shop. I wouldn't touch it for any less.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
find a local paint supply store and go in there and talk to them. They will steer you in the right direction. Drive the car up there if you can and let them look at it, they'll sell you the right stuff. Expect to have $500-1000 wrapped up in materials to do it correctly. Thats an expensive learning experience if you screw it up.

Depending on the color you can get the price of supplies down some especially if the car is white or a non metallic color you can go w/ a decent PPG Acrylic enamel (they even sell this anymore?) We painted a truck in my garage w/ this stuff, it held up at least 10 yrs and placed at every show it was in.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I vote pay the man too. Because of you have no body work tools and such....the tools and materials alone will be in the $1500+ range and thats just to get it in primer and buy the base and clear....maybe!!! So to have it done right....professionally for $3,000-4,000....aint bad!

And if you try to paint it yourself...even with a cheaper line like OMNI or NASON....and you screw up....you'll still have about as much in it after you fix it....you could have just paid the pro....and done something else to make money at home while he is painting your ride!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
i'd say take it someone, paint is hard, it might turn out worse than before, no effence, there are so many thing you got to think of when painting, mixing, prep, did i sand it enough, did i sand too much(oss, over sanding sindrome lol) did i mix the paint/ clear right, then if you didnt ur gunna get fish eyes, bullseyes ect.. its just too much to worry about if you dont know what your doin, and you want a good job. Take it to a well known body shops who will do a complete paint, see what they say, you might just have to bend over on this one... dont do maaco...just dont! lol good luck

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
My fox was painted about 6 years ago and since then pretty much every panel has the clear bubbling off of it. Every paint shop I have been to has said anywhere from 3-4k to repaint the entire thing.

I could be off but that just seems high. I have no auto body skills but was wondering what all going into stripping the parts of the old paint. Or should I just nutt up and let a pro do it. Man 4 grands could have be a nice engine build.
If you prep your car yourself, a MAACO type shop will spray a quality acrylic urethane paintjob on your car for considerably less than a grand.
Get some literature and dvds on the subject and educate yourself, and practice on everything you can.
Don't strip your car because of clearcoat peeling issues, and NEVER touch your car with an air sander.
If the car is straight and doesn't need bodywork, get some P220 wetpaper, wrap it around a good straight paintpaddle and go to work. use lots of water and long strokes, holding the paddle straight with the long axis of the panel. Continue just untill the clearcoat is gone, repeat with P400 wetpaper. There is much more to it, of course, so find an experienced professional to give you advice and guidance, even if you have to buy his lunch for a few weeks.Offer to trade out any labor or services you can provide.
There are many ways around the 4 grand insurance shop paint job.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a guy on craigslist that said he would do it "show quality" for about 3200~. That is jams and all. He said even with the bubbling paint that I had it didnt have to be stripped to metal. He said he would be happy to do it, but it would be $1k to strip to metal. I'm leaning towards going with him, but I havent really seen anything he has done. Maybe I should ask for reverse referrals?

·
Registered
46 Posts
First off I'm a Painter so you know where I'm comming from.

3-4K is not bad at all for a complete paint job. No matter what you think you want, you will not like anything less then a factory job on your car. You have an idea of what you want it to look like after paint and its going to need to be done right.

DO NOT take the car to bare metal and ask your painter how he wants it prepped. Your going to add steps to the process and end up costing yourself more money if you try to prep the car.

What grit can you use and still have color cover the scratches ?

What grit do you use if primer is needed, then what grit do you sand the primer with ?

How do you prep a panel with no damage or clear pealing ?

How do you prep a panel with just clear pealing ?

If you cant answere these simple questions.. DO NOT TOUCH your finish. Would you plug into the ECU and start fooling around with the tune if you have never done it ?

Leave it to the pro's and expect to pay for the job. No one works for free, do you ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
How is the overall condtion or the car??
Are you willing to have a "cheap paint job" that will basically spray color over nicks, chips, dings, and scratches?? Or are you looking for something you can be proud of, that the shop can guarantee and will stand behind.

Not to be a jerk, but every time someone wants to save money or get a deal on a paint job, they are the ones who complain the most about the finished product.

I spent two full days just on CAREFULLY pulling apart my 1994 GT Convertible...

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, most shops will let you disassemble/reassemble the car. But again, if you're not careful you run the risk of chipping the new finish putting it back together yourself.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to strip it myself. I emailed and met with that one guy and we talked for quite a while. Afterwards I sent him an email asking for any referals (I guess you could call them that) of people he has done work for. He hasnt written me back so I don't know. I'll try one more time and if he doesnt, then I'll move on to the next shop.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Don't rush it look around, and more importantly ask around. See if there are any local car clubs in your area and ask those guys.

I'm sure that 99% of the fox body Mustangs out there are repainted at this point (or need to be....lol..)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts