Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard conflicting stories, I have the DS and want to get the Bullit suspension but not if the DS will rub anything with it lowered. Can anyone advise me on if this is a possible/feasible combination???

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I don't think you will have any problems. I have seen tons of guys with lowered cars running the FMS Aluminum shaft. I have never heard of clearance problems before.

Kyle

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
My car isnt lowered...but I have no problems with clearance.

I think you would run into less problems with the car being lowered. The suspension is tucked up higher which would provide more clearance by the muffler. It seems like the closest thing would be the passenger side muffler.

The only thing that may rub would be your ebrake cable, but thats doubtful as long as its in good working order

·
Registered
519 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong isn't the Aluminum FMS Driveshaft skinnier than the stock one?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
the FMS driveshaft is much fater than the stock one...

I run one and have the Saleen Racecraft suspension on mine and its really low to the ground...I also have a Lakewood/FMS driveshaft safety loop and nothing has ever rubbed before...

the FMS is a great unit!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
With BBK lowering springs my aluminum driveshaft rubbed, but it was the fault of the SouthSide lowers. The geometry of the control arm is different than the stock arm and this in turn changed my pinion angle and caused rubbing on the e-brake cable. I put in some double adjustable uppers to correct the pinion angle, no more rubbing!

Not too familiar with the Bullit suspension, but as long as your all the geometry works out, then you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My 91 is lowered about 2 inches and my FMS driveshaft rubs if i have another person in the car with me. Ive had the car lowered for 2 years now with the aluminum ds and only about 3 months ago it started rubbing. I cant figure out why.

·
Registered
522 Posts
hey ebony mine rubs the cables a little too if I bog it and let the clutch out to fast-----and I have southsides!!! What kind of improvement other than no rubbing did you get from adding the adjustable uppers? Im within specs on pinion angle barely at one or two degrees if I remeber correctly. A guy at a driveshaft shop in my town told me anything under zero is really ok. How much angle are you running?

·
Registered
394 Posts
slowblown- I haven't done an official measurement yet on the pinion angle. All I did when installing them was messed around with different lengths to stop the rubbing. I feel pretty confident that they are set pretty well, with lowering springs and well worn slicks I've seen high 1.6 60's. The improvements I saw from the uppers were basically a more solid feeling rear suspension.

My rub only occurred when going over bumps and the suspension was compressed, never heard of rubbing when releasing the clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts