Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well, it's been 2 weeks, so I called the shop today about my dizzy gear. It's going to be about 2-3 weeks. WTF, 2 weeks ago you told me 2 weeks. Now another 2-3 weeks? Screw that.
I ordered it from Summit just now. Will be here Tues. Why TF didn't I do that from the get go. This is really pissing me off. It's the only thing keeping me off the road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes, I doubt it will take them long to do the actual changeout, just a matter of having the right gear on hand.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Unless its extremely odd you can have it next day.
It’s just the comp cams 435M melonized, but we’re in Canada where delivery chains are slow like maple syrup. Like I said, Summit will have it here Tues. Aboot.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It’s just the comp cams 435M melonized, but we’re in Canada where delivery chains are slow like maple syrup. Like I said, Summit will have it here Tues. Aboot.
I have a friend in Denmark who doesn’t wait more than about 3 weeks for parts. Seems like the shop is jerking you around. Things are more difficult now, but not THAT difficult for sourcing parts - at least not a basic distributor gear

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I have a friend in Denmark who doesn’t wait more than about 3 weeks for parts. Seems like the shop is jerking you around. Things are more difficult now, but not THAT difficult for sourcing parts - at least not a basic distributor gear
Possible. I was told 2 weeks ago that it would be a special order and take 2 weeks, since the Can. distributor did not have it in stock (they had the cam in stock, but not the gear). I suspect the parts guy simply forgot to order it. Sh!t happens. Life’s too short to hold a grudge (unless you’re the d!ckhead parts guy at my local Ford dealership, lol).

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't know what comp recommends for a dizzy gear, but I thought as long as your dizzy was from say a 86-93 roller engine it worked just fine with comp cams? I have used the factory 1989 dizzy gear with 2 different comp cams.

It would have sucked if you've been waiting a month + for something you didn't need.

Strokeme?
Ed Curtis?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I don't know what comp recommends for a dizzy gear, but I thought as long as your dizzy was from say a 86-93 roller engine it worked just fine with comp cams? I have used the factory 1989 dizzy gear with 2 different comp cams.

It would have sucked if you've been waiting a month + for something you didn't need.

Strokeme?
Ed Curtis?
They (Comp Cams) want a melonized gear for warranty. Plus, I think it’s a good idea to run a new gear with a new cam.
With the way my luck‘s been this year, I’m not taking any chances.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Still waiting on the gear...should be here tomorrow. Over the weekend I buttoned up the rest of the engine bay wiring and plumbing.
Checking where I could locate my dial indicator to check endplay every couple hundred miles for the next little bit, it became obvious that I will need to pull the rad every time I check that. Any issue running staight water for the summer/fall instead of antifreeze? Our water IS pretty hard here, but I’d plan to do a full flush and replace with antifreeze in Oct before it gets too cold, but in the meantime it would be a lot more convenient to use water since I’ll be pulling the rad several times before then. What about lubrication for the water pump? Is it even an issue for such a short duration?

·
Registered
23,203 Posts
you can get hose pinch vise grips for lower hose

no reason to lose a drop when pulling rad, then re use coolant

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
you can get hose pinch vise grips for lower hose

no reason to lose a drop when pulling rad, then re use coolant
Never thought of that. Hello amazon.
Actually, now that I think about that, I can probably macgiver something out of some quickgrip clamps I already have.
Thanks.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts