Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the audio tech forum, but have been unsuccessful.

I just bought a Pioneer CD player and was about ready to install it when I thought that I would consult a local, but reputable stereo shop about the installation. Well this guy told me that I was going to have alot of problems with it because when I install it, their is going to be alot of feedback signal coming from the speakers. Like when I turn on the blinkers, you can hear the clicking from the speakers. He said it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. "That's the problem with Ford MACH 460 systems, there junk."

Well, all of my friends that have aftermarket head units in there car don't have this problem with their MACH 460. One of my friends told me that I need a converter to install it properly. He said that since the fact head unit has little to no signal coming out of it to the speakers (because of fact amps) that this converter converts the watts of the new one into a very low signal so that it doesn't happen.

My question is this, do I need this converter, where can I get it or am I up the creek without a paddle? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I can't believe Ford puts that crazy stereo system in their cars.

It has different impedances than regular amps/speakers so it makes it nearly impossible to upgrade the components.

Thanks Ford!

I went in to get my front/passenger speaker replaced, and ended up buying a nearly $2000 stereo system (NOT Mach 460).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well i was in the same situation, had bought a decent pioneer cd head unit,a dn was wanting to hook up my stock amps to it, Well i tried alot of things, and came to the conclusion of the stero shops advise, U really have to get that converter, Here in Fl , i guess same elsewher, the guy told me it would be 130 installed, And that pretty much hooks ur pioneer head unit up, using the factory 460 twin amps. Might not have the greatest bass or best sound, but If i had to do it agian, ide spend the 130 and get the converter, i just hooked the speaker wires directly to the back of the head unit. Mine is a 50x4 watt unit. In order to get to those speaker wires, dont go taking the door panels off and all that trouble, just pull out the stock cd player or radio and splice into this plug under there, ide check into which one, i cant remember now, but i know i unhooked the wrong one, and got a air-bag check code now, simple fix, but still. Just take it to a shop and pay them, its alot easyer on u and ur car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet, just the news i wanted to hear. There goes the money for the new exhaust setup.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have the stereo sitting in my lap (deciding whether to take it out back and plug it with my .40) and I just got a sweet check that my past employer "forgot" to send out for my vaction and overtime settlement. So I have $1200 sitting in my account waiting to be burnt on some sweet exhaust. I think I am gonna get the Bassani X, but don't know what cat-back to get, maybe the Ultra-Flos. Just didn't want to get into the $2000 prediciment that IJCOBRA got into when he just wanted to change the unit.:D

·
Registered
788 Posts
aftermarket tunes

hey man,
I got an aftermarket CD player, an adapter, and a lower tray to replace the lower deck, and I only spent $210 total.
The adapter plugs right in to your factory harness...easy! I got the setup from crutchfield.com and the tray from Ford. I replaced the front speakers with kicker 6x8's, but the only thing I don't like is that the music goes thru a factory crossover coming out of the factory amps...if you want highs to come out of your door speakers, just wire them directly to your aftermarket receiver.
All i got to do now is replace the rear deck 6x8's with some nice 6x9's and I'll have all the tunes I want. Good luck on your tunes, it's NOT expensive!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myfirstgt,

I was going to get my cd player from crutchfield, but couldn't pass up this price. Guess it souldn't be that hard once i get into it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does anyone know what causes all that noise in the Mach460 systems? I have a 94 Cobra that gets terrible noise through the stero. It comes and goes but its there most of the time. Is the Mach460 repairable. It almost sounds like a grounding problem. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I had the same noise in my 94 Cobra. Inside the drivers side kick panel, there is some connections, one of mine was loose, I also tightened the ground wire back there also. I had to use tye wraps to keep the connector together, but have had no noise since I did this. I cannot remember the color, but I think it is tan. Try that and see if it works.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I've had 3 aftermarket head units in my 2 SN95s, and all it took was 2 small harnesses made by peripheral that plugs into the stock stuff. I think they were about 30bux. I just put a kenwood kdc919 mp3 player

in with my stock 7 year old speakers, and it sounds ****in awesome

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
texn95,

which were the two connecters and the poss. names for them.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
IJCOBRA said:
I went in to get my front/passenger speaker replaced, and ended up buying a nearly $2000 stereo system (NOT Mach 460).
That's basically what happened to me when all I wanted to do is get a CD player (I had the factory tape deck). I replaced the stereo...then had to do speakers/amp...then subwoofers. It was a super hassle.

Be prepared for a lot of work on this project...

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
85GT306 said:
Does anyone know what causes all that noise in the Mach460 systems? I have a 94 Cobra that gets terrible noise through the stero. It comes and goes but its there most of the time. Is the Mach460 repairable. It almost sounds like a grounding problem. Anyone?
My noise completely disappeared from installing my MSD spark plug wires.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i dunno what you guys are talking about. i have an alpine cd player in place of the 460 unit with the factory speakers. mine works just fine with the harness. something that might make a difference however, is that i had JUST the CD player. not the cd/tape deck thing. not sure if that would make a difference, but it works fine for me.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
311green94 said:
texn95,

which were the two connecters and the poss. names for them.
I think I got them at circuit city. The instructions say
"peripheral electronics
FDAHW (Ford Add-A-Head)"

It comes with a power plug for the power wires etc, then another one for all 8 speakers. That one has gain control for the 4 corners. The number on the instructions are 619 695 2133 or 800 477 2267 x 230. It says 40x4 max, but my 50x4 units works great.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
venom95svt said:
i dunno what you guys are talking about. i have an alpine cd player in place of the 460 unit with the factory speakers. mine works just fine with the harness. something that might make a difference however, is that i had JUST the CD player. not the cd/tape deck thing. not sure if that would make a difference, but it works fine for me.
Consider yourself lucky. Mine was a total nightmare.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I put in a pioneer head in my 94 GT. I just bought the aftermarket harnesses from my local stereo shop. they too told me it would sound bad and that i should sepnd money with them of course on all new components. Well i didn't want to do that so i just bought the adapter and slaped it in. I have installed probably 20 stereo's in various cars. this is the simplest one i have ever installed. I had the mach 460 w/ the CD/tape units and my aftermarket head w/ the 460 sounds better than the stock stuff ever did. I don't have any noise or anything like that. I did blow out one of my speakers from the extra bass it makes though. hope this helps.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The head unit adapter is avail through Circuit City or Crutchfield. The adapter is cheap. Not symphony sound but OK. Distortion could be from bad ignition wires or a bad ground.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, got the harness for it today. Gonna install it this weekend and see what happens. Hopefully I wont burn the car down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
311- Using a aftermarket is fine as long as you have the TWO adapters. One is an eight prong I believe, the one on the back of Radio/Tape part of 460. BUT, DON'T use the AM/FM and aftermarktet all together. I tried to install my Radio with out the CD part and they have to be together. That's prolly where people pick up problems. Just get the tray thing to slide in the bottom, so you don't have a whole with visible wires. All the wires on the adapter should be color coded (at least mine was), just match color to color, hook it up and everything should be just fine. All my speakers and Highs and Lows on all them work perfect.

Anyone else- Does anyone know of a fix for the CD/460 problem where it makes motor noise when you put in a CD, like it won't stop trying to grab it. It did this for a while, but would still play it. Now, it won't play and does it while the radio is on, AND won't eject the CD. Anybody found or heard of a fix and how much it costs. I would like to fix it so if I sell my car, it looks nicer, and car would be back to original. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts