Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 5.0's have a 50oz. external balance to them. My question is if you take a motor to the shop and get it bored and change the pistons, rods ect. and want to get it balanced by them. Can they balance it internally and not do any drilling etc to my damper or flywheel? The reason I'm asking is if they external balance it by drilling holes on the balancer or flywheel, what happens in the future if you decide to replace the balancer or flywheel. I figured if they could balance it internally, I could always replace the balancer or flywheel with a standard 50oz. piece. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
You have to buy a internal balance flywheel and balancer. They will take those 2 pieces, attach them to the crank, spin the assembly up and balance it. They will need to add mallory metal to the crank, and or remove some material.

It can be very expensive.

Ian

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I was thinking was not that it would be totally internally balanced but just whatever it takes to make it balanced using the 50oz. balancer and flywheel. In other words, add mallory or drill holes in the crank throws to make it balanced with my existing balancer and flywheel. Does any of this make sense?

·
Registered
61 Posts
A balance shop normally won't drill the clutch, flywheel or damper. They balance the rotating assy TO those components, that way you can change out parts without affecting the balance.
You CAN have zero balance if you want, but you'd better have deep pockets (we're talkin' thousands here).
Unless you have a NASCAR team or a national level drag car, zero balance just isn't necessary.

HTH, Ed

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ed, That is what I was looking for. So they can balance my internals to match my 50oz. flywheel and balancer etc. I wasn't planning on rebalancing the whole thing to nuetral balance or anything! Just wanted to be able to change external pieces later if I needed to without screwing up the balance. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts