Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 5.0 now runs 8 psi on my Vortech S-trim.
I want to run 12-14 psi and above.

Can anyone recommend a cam and intake for this application? Right now I'm looking at the Holley intake (because of its
EGR relocation) and the E303 cam, but I'd like some more input from all you seasoned vets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh... the entire engine is stock. But, it only has 20k miles, and I will get it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah and I'd buy them from you if I know they're right for my intentions, but I'm looking to get a few more technical opinions first. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Holley is nice and so is the afm b2 cam I had in my old set up. Made 522rwhp on [email protected] rpms running 10lbs of boost. Car could have made more but I needed a better fuel system.

I did have astock short block w/ AFR 185 heads.

Mike

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
No seasoned vet here, but I'd strongly suggest you talk with the real cam seasoned vets - the custom designers like Ed Curtis, Buddy Rawls, Bryan at Hitech, etc. These guys can model your setup, and taking into account the drivability and performance issues that are important to you, they'll design one that does what you want it to. Yes it costs more up front, but in the long run, I know it costs less. Having just sold my used E and replaced it with a custom, I won't ever order an off the shelf cam again. Just doesn't seem like the best approach to me to order a cam (arguably the most complex piece of technology in the engine) based on the recommendations of some guy you don't know on the internet who says he had a buddy once "with an F cam that was really sweet!" Talk to a custom cam designer. If not that, at least the tech folks at the cam companies, although after trying that approach, I pretty quickly zeroed in on Buddy Rawls. My custom goes in this weekend.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you still using the stock heads?

For an off the shelf cam and the stock heads I would use a Crane 2031 with 1.7 rockers.

I am by no means a cam guru so I would be interested to hear what others have to say also.

What about porting your heads when you are putting in the cam?

I believe there is some one here that is running this same combo, stock ported heads, 2031 and a S-trim (don't know how much boost, probably 14lbs) and dynoed 500RWHP. Talk about pushing your combo to the max.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I didn't expect much insight because of the newbie nature of my question, but I got it. Sweet.

Yes, I'm planning on sticking with the stock heads. I'm trying to stay within a certain budget, so I prefer just going with straight bolt-ons and seeing how much HP I can boost out safely. I guess I'll be giving Buddy Rawls a call.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
all trick flow, heads intake and stage -2 cam ---the stage 2 is one of Andersons old blower cams, all matched would also look good and no need for port matching

·
Registered
892 Posts
Putting a cam in at this point is pretty pointless if u still have stock heads and a Vortech in my opinion. Reason number one is the stock heads dont flow much and no cam is going to change the fact that they are ultimately holding back your power. Reason number two is the stock valve springs on the heads arent worth a shyt either so its gonna limit the specs on any cam you pick to the point of it being worthless. You could put better springs on the stock heads but its not really worth the effort or expense at all. If youre wanting to make more power, better cylinder heads like AFR165's or something similar and an intake like the Edelbrock are going to do more for you. If u have money left over after those items then you might want to consider a better cam as well. BTW, your boost will probably go down some due to increased engine efficiency but the power will go way up. More boost isnt what u want, more power is : the answer is heads, intake, and cam. Make sure u have enough fuel injector and fuel pump too. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts