Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it sounds like something broke off inside the cat. at low rpms under load the cat rattles and when downshifting to a stop it rattles, and at idle its an itermittenet (sp?) rattle.above 2,000 rpm the sound goes away until its time to shift and as soon as it gets below 2,000 the sound is back.. i checked the clearance under the car and the pipe from the header has been rubbing the trans crossmember. i wonder if repeated jolting caused the cat to break off inside? it is an mac high flow and im goin to replace it for an o/r h pipe shortly. just wondering if i am correct in diagnosing the rattle. thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
yeh, mine made a sound similar to that, i could also get it to rattle at idle by revving the engine a bit

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Yup, my right front cat broke and did that on my car and recently my truck did the same thing. Front cat exploded and rattled chunks into the rear cat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Did you check the heat shield? Both of mine rattled. For a quick fix, I put a band clamp around them untill I got my mechanic to tac-weld the shields. No problems since... :)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
There was a recall on the factory cats.

91E13 MAY 92 Recall 91E13 Catalyst Inspection/Replacement 49 States

91E03 JAN 92 Catalyst Inspection/Replacement Emissions Recall 91E03

1 - 5 of 5 Posts