Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So starting my build. Put the cam in tonight and ran into a snag. Couldn’t get the camshaft dowel pin into the Cams receiving hole.

It’s a FTI/comp Cams custom grind.

Measured the pin and get .309”. I measured my stock HO pin and got .308”. The receiving hole in the cam seems to measure at .305”.

I can’t get the pin in at all even with some gentle taps. I’m sure as hell not going to swing away so I stopped for the night to do some research.

Anyone even run into this? I tried some Emory cloth on the pin but still no go. Fits perfectly into the cam sprocket gear hole.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, all clean.

After sleeping on it, I can prob take to work next week, and machine the end of the dowel down to .306-.307 and see if that fits better.

Dowels are cheap and easily replaced so rather start with that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
What’s the size of the hole in the cam gear?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Try putting the pin in the freezer first and recheck.

·
Old timer
5,715 Posts
So starting my build. Put the cam in tonight and ran into a snag. Couldn’t get the camshaft dowel pin into the Cams receiving hole.

Measured the pin and get .309”. I measured my stock HO pin and got .308”. The receiving hole in the cam seems to measure at .305”.

I can’t get the pin in at all even with some gentle taps. I’m sure as hell not going to swing away so I stopped for the night to do some research.

Anyone even run into this? I tried some Emory cloth on the pin but still no go. Fits perfectly into the cam sprocket gear hole.
Check to see if there is a "burr" at the edge of the camshaft dowel hole. A little clean up and it should fit.

Dowels are case hardened so don't try to grind the diameter down. Go too far and it'll hit the soft center.

Also keep in mind, you want a press fit with the pieces so it doesn't loosen up. As noted, stick the dowel in a freezer and give it a try.

Tap the dowel in place with a brass hammer. Using a steel one may bellow it out and then never go in.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Check to see if there is a "burr" at the edge of the camshaft dowel hole. A little clean up and it should fit.

Dowels are case hardened so don't try to grind the diameter down. Go too far and it'll hit the soft center.

Also keep in mind, you want a press fit with the pieces so it doesn't loosen up. As noted, stick the dowel in a freezer and give it a try.

Tap the dowel in place with a brass hammer. Using a steel one may bellow it out and then never go in.
Thanks Ed. I was actually in the middle of checking for a burr and think there is/was one.

I took a few drill bits I have and *by hand* worked them a bit in the receiving hole and removed part of it.

With the burr out, I now get .307” on the receiving hole. Not quite there but getting closer.

Pin is currently hanging out in freezer while I work the hole slightly by hand to make sure it’s burr free.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok it’s in.

I got brave and pulled the cam out. I had a drill bit slightly smaller than the hole so I used a drill and lightly ran it in and out a few times. Carefully cleaned it up and with a few taps, the pin went home.

Moving past this issue, I went with the longer of the two supplies pins. I know these are for the old carb cars, but is there any reason I can’t run it? My understanding is as long as it doesn’t come through the gear and interfere with washer I’m good to go. The instructions for my timing gear set say not to run the oil slinger, so I’m not.

With gear and cam fully seated up, I have this much clearance. Good to go or put the small pin on?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured as much. I'll have to get one of those hammers for the next build.

Anyway...moving on past this hiccup. Time to get the heads (TFS170s) on. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
655 Posts
Glad you got it.
I agree with the freezer method. Also, a flat spot the length of the dowel provides a vent. You're compressing the air in the hole with a tight fitting dowel. Some dowels are made with this flat.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Had a burr on mine too. Easy fix with a round file, took VERY little work to deburr and then clean it. Press fit it is. I was doing some press fit stuff at work which required a dewar of liquid nitrogen, so I took the cam and pin to work and "froze" it home. Went right in and it's now probably stuck forever. Yes they are case hardened. I broke one last year and it was SOO easy to drill that it wasn't even funny, but there was no way I was gonna drill the case (hardened outer part). By the way make sure you use an ARP cam bolt ;)

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way make sure you use an ARP cam bolt ;)
I'm actually stalled right now in my progress because I'm waiting for one to show up in the mail.

All the little things you never think to buy ahead of time because you are too focuses on the fun stuff, like heads and cam and shiny roller rockers. >:)

·
USAF retired
9,009 Posts
I was thinking the long pin was for EFI, the shorter was for carb applications, so that the tab on the eccentric can go into the cam sprocket all the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts