Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C'mon guys someone has to have some kinda input here...

Whats gonna give me a bigger drop in my e.t, cams or an SSR lower intake? Custom is not an option.

I have 4.10's, I'm looking to stay with these gears... So if someone has a suggestion to what cam I should use, feel free to chime in.

My current mods are in sig.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somebody......

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'd go with the SSR just for the work involved in installing the cams, guess I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be doing the work myself...

Does anyone have info on the Fordracing cams... Where do they put the Tq/Hp peaks @?

If these don't satisfy me, I'm gonna go with the SHM RR cams, then I'll be geared to my powerband w/4.10's better, Then I'll go with the SSR.

The difference of a cam, and how it would set me apart a little bit is drawing me in, so I'm gonna do the intake second :D

Can anyone offer up some info on a good valvetrain kit to go with the cams @ this time? I want something that will last, is lite, and gives good hp.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Go with the intake. I just sold my SSR intake and although I don't have numbers I can tell I lost quite a bit up top.

I have stayed away from cams myself becasue it doesn't seem to be a proven safe mod. I see a lot of people with problems with regrinds and the new cams are just way too much $$.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If your doing the work then why not just save up a little more and do them both at the same time?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Intake will serve you better

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made my order, SHM RR cams, and SHM valvetrain

They responded to my mail, recommending their cams over their $1300 intake. I was told having 4.10's I would benefit from them much more @ the track, and then if I add the intake in the future, I'll have a very flat hp curve, with my current mods they said I should make about 310ish rwhp...Thats just fine w/me, I'll hope to see 320-330 w/the intake.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ooof....

I've always heard that you need to help the Cobra engine breathe a little better if you are going with cams...they won't help as much unless you have a P&P intake and P&P heads first...Once you get the air flowing a lot better, then the cams will really shine...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You should be able to get to 310rwhp+ with all the bolt-ons (which it seems like you have), short runner intake, and a nice tune... I'd say more like 320-330rwhp... Installing an intake is a lot easier than swapping cams and valve train work etc... I've never been a fan of opening up a perfectly good set of 4V heads unless they are going to be ported...

But its your car bro... I can only offer my opinion...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well while the motors out, anyone know where I can send my heads for some PnP? A good 5angle vavle job, and PnP the intake port to an SSR lower (future purposes), and match the exhaust ports to my headers. Can anyone do this? Tx

Tx for everyones opinion, and help.. I just had to go with the cams to set myself apart, and hopefully get some power down there right where I need it w/4.10 gears.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Call Fox Lake for head porting. Personally, I would have gone with the FRPP cams/valvetrain kit. For $1500 you get valves/springs/retainers/locks/billet (not regrind) cams. They are also more of a RR cam.
Neither cams nor ported intake will perform well without the other. While you've got the motor out, I'd send the heads to Fox Lake and have them taken care of as well. With that combo I'd think you would be at 340rwhp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts