Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not to be one of those people, but im just curious. what does everybody think about the cam test in mm&ff?

from what everybody says when it comes to turbo cams, i would not have thought the usual split pattern would have done to well.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't have the mag, what cams were involved in the test and what was their outputs? I had a split duration cam (favoring exhaust) that did well in my car. Never got to test it against any other cam, but the car wasn't lacking in power.
Maybe MM&FF still does have something worth reading....

·
Registered
46 Posts
My cam is a lot like the one that they didn't get a chance to test because of a machining problem. I'll be anxious to see how it does in a future issue.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bobo said:
I don't have the mag, what cams were involved in the test and what was their outputs? I had a split duration cam (favoring exhaust) that did well in my car. Never got to test it against any other cam, but the car wasn't lacking in power.
Maybe MM&FF still does have something worth reading....
i know i was actually surprized myself. they tested the stock cam vs. the XE266HR vs. a custom 216-216 cam on a 114, and the 3rd was ground wrong or something so they couldnt test it. the 266hr was tops almost across the board, which i thought was interesting because turbos are supposed to like no overlap, and the cam with the most made the most power.

it was actually a decent article. i was surprized.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd still like to see what an F-303 would do on that engine...

·
Registered
219 Posts
turbolx said:
I'd still like to see what an F-303 would do on that engine...
Hey Greg have you ever dynoed your car with the stock cam to see the difference or a car with the same turbo? By the way the F-303 has .512 lift and 226 @ .050 duration. Does anyone know the LSA and overlap?

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
The F-303 has a 114 degree LSA.

I never had the stock cam under this head/intake/turbo combination, only when it was a stock long block with the Incon kit a couple years ago. I'm not in a big hurry to see what the stock cam does on this setup either. I already have 400rw ft-lbs at 3000rpm, the last thing my tires need is more low end torque. It's actually far easier to drive the car both on the street and at the road course with the "softer" bottom end power of the bigger cam and short runner intake.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Where is this test ?
Is it in the february edition? the one that says KILLER 425-HP Q-SHIP ?
Cant find in there... :confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
rotax said:
Where is this test ?
Is it in the february edition? the one that says KILLER 425-HP Q-SHIP ?
Cant find in there... :confused:
It is the March issue. It has a red Mach 1 on the cover and it says Mach 1 Mania!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Re: SH!T march already?

rotax said:
Arent we just in the middle of january? is it march 2004? :rolleyes:
Yea it just says display until March 2003. Maybe that means it is the Feb issue. Not really sure why they do them that far in advance:idunno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been working with the Desktop 2000 program for my Incon 306.
I know DT2k is only as accurate as the user inputs and probably doesn't take everything into account but it seems to like 520-530 lift at the valve, lobe center of 116.5 valve overlap of 47, int duration of 271, exh duration of 289, ivo 23,ivc 68, evo 85, evc 24, ica 112.5, eca 120.5.

Does this look workable? Ed said he can build it. What do you think?

·
Registered
391 Posts
stm said:
I've been working with the Desktop 2000 program for my Incon 306.
I know DT2k is only as accurate as the user inputs and probably doesn't take everything into account but it seems to like 520-530 lift at the valve, lobe center of 116.5 valve overlap of 47, int duration of 271, exh duration of 289, ivo 23,ivc 68, evo 85, evc 24, ica 112.5, eca 120.5.

Does this look workable? Ed said he can build it. What do you think?
Seems way to exhaust bias to me.
Ed's doing a cam for my Incon setup. It's 12 degrees Intake bias at .050 & has -2 degrees overlap @.050. Of course, I have small heads on displacement. (GT40 irons on a 331)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ed hasn't given me any feedback on the profile, just that he can build it. Then again I'm running the 185 TEA TW on a 306 so I have a lot more intake on a smaller motor (306). He hasn't told me what he would recomend.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This test is BS! The turbo engine is a 327 strocker with victor jr. heads. Do you guys think that the stock cam is restrictive on this motor? Even a split duration cam that favor the exhaust will make more power on this motor. They're always talking about the 4000-6000 rpm. Why? Turbo's shine in the lower rpm range. Dyno test are made on a engine dyno. 600 fwhp is not so impressive if you look at the combo. I saw 495 rwhp from a 302 with a stock cam wich is not far of 600 fwhp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told by a local guy who tried a split duration cam in his t76 turbo 306 that he had trouble making boost until way up in the rpm band. he made the same boost at lower rpm with an e-cam. he talked to george at turbo tech and they said dont use the split dur. cam that favors the exhaust side. ?. i have an e-cam in my car and it will stay for now until i call spetter and get a custom grind.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
104 Posts
This test is BS! The turbo engine is a 327 strocker with victor jr. heads. Do you guys think that the stock cam is restrictive on this motor? Even a split duration cam that favor the exhaust will make more power on this motor. They're always talking about the 4000-6000 rpm. Why? Turbo's shine in the lower rpm range. Dyno test are made on a engine dyno. 600 fwhp is not so impressive if you look at the combo. I saw 495 rwhp from a 302 with a stock cam wich is not far of 600 fwhp.
Exactly.
Turbos dont like huge duration. Pressure in a sysytem always tries to equalize. If you hang both valves open, the pressure can go right out the intake valve slowing the compressor.
Take the Vtec garbage. They work way better with a vortec blower than a turbocharger.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts