Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted about building a 347 and I'm still leaning that way, but as I'm looking at different combinations trying to figure out what the best bang for my buck is, I'm trying to decide what level I'd like to take this to. So, lets go back to what I was originally thinking, stock bottom end of a very low mile 92 5.0. Let's say I left everything stock, and just upgraded the cam, whether it be off the shelf or a custom cam. I know the E7 heads are crummy. I did do some minor upgrades to them but its just a little lipstick on the pig. I've debated on selling this car and building another one. So I'm trying to boost its power and performance just a bit more, without dropping too much more into it, because I can't really recoup any more money than I'm asking now, even if I built a 500hp 347 and dropped it in. So if a cam swap would net me a noticeable boost over stock, then that would be a small investment for a decent return. Dollar in Dollar out. I know gears are the best bang for seat of the pants feel, and I could change my 3.55 to 3.93 gears fairly cheaply but lets just focus on the engine for a min. What would be the expected HP boost from a cam and a tune?

·
Registered
21,850 Posts
the stock engine is perfectly matched

you want to change just the cam, then it wont be perfect anymore

your choice

·
Registered
152 Posts
So are you trying to sell the car or enjoy the car? If you're selling there's no point in putting money into performance modifications as you won't see a return on that money spent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it's a low mile untouched car you could probably sell it for more stock than modified. If you are selling I would not put any more money into the car except for making the paint and interior as perfect as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is a 1967 Mustang coupe. I swapped the fox body motor in, swapped gears and a locker in, upgraded just about everything else. I have and am currently weighing the cost of keeping it and making it the way I truly want it, in which case a lot of what I've already done I can't recoup the money for. If I sell the car, I could start fresh and then have more money to put towards even more upgrades, like maybe a full chasis. I don't want to put too much more into it, but if a cam change would net say 10-20% for around $3-400 then that would be worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd suggest figuring out exactly you want to do before spending a dime.

A cam only change might net you 10% but by the time you add the cost of gaskets, matching valve springs, fluids, time etc it becomes more costly than you originally plan.

It's not going to make or break a deal on
someone purchasing the car and if you have other plans for it you're going to end up spending money twice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The car is a 1967 Mustang coupe. I swapped the fox body motor in, swapped gears and a locker in, upgraded just about everything else. I have and am currently weighing the cost of keeping it and making it the way I truly want it, in which case a lot of what I've already done I can't recoup the money for. If I sell the car, I could start fresh and then have more money to put towards even more upgrades, like maybe a full chasis. I don't want to put too much more into it, but if a cam change would net say 10-20% for around $3-400 then that would be worth it.
If it were me I would sell it since it's a box top/coupe. If it was a fastback, I would keep it. If you had started with a fastback, you would have most likely been able to make a profit, or get most of your money back on re-sale.

Just make it look as good as possible, and then try to sell it. The 10 to 20 horsepower gain with a cam swap won't be noticeable to customers looking to buy the car.

General rule of thumb with classic mustangs is to stay away from coupe mustangs if you are looking to recoup your money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would go with a Ford "B" cam and some behive springs. Mine runs like crazy with E7 heads and a stock bottom end, sounds great as well.

·
Old timer
5,717 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
The B cam does make all of the right noises. If that is all that is required, then it will work just fine. If you want something to perform like the noise it makes, then you need something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just thought if he were going to sell the car and wanted a bit more glitz to help the sale for a reasonable amount that would be a way to go. Granted the B cam wouldn't get you to 10 seconds but is a really good stock replacement. Like I said my daily is fun not bad on fuel, sounds great and didn't break the bank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts