Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just bought a 512 lift cam and stuck in his 5 liter. After only putting like 30 miles on it he decided he wanted a 542 instead so he is going to hook me up with the 512 if i want it. I have a stock cam now and my mods so far are listed on my signature. Im trying to decide if that is the size i want or not. My car is a daily driver but i want a lot of balls and strong lope from my cam. Would this be right about the lift i would want out of a cam or should i just go ahead and get a 542 as well? If i get the 512 what lifters should i get? I know im not going to get a big gain from it without changing the stock heads but i'm doing it anyways and when i have the money im getting some heads =) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
642 Posts
There is a lot more you need to know about a cam then just lift, like duration. That is what gives you the lope you want to have not the lift. Plus there are so many variables like the LCA, intake and head flow, compression ratio, trans and rear end gear... It all works together.

You already said you know you won't get a gain with the stock heads and your right. Chances are you would just lose power and driveabilty with your daily driver so why waste your time and money putting in a cam that would probably be way to much for your motor. You can make close to 300 hp with the stock cam...

Another thing, are the springs good enough for .500"+ lift

If you really want to swap a cam wait till you do the heads and intake and match it to the cam. You need to know how you want the car to run and what you can live with too.

Also I was wondering, what rockers is your buddy using with his 512 cam? If they're 1.6 just changing to a 1.7 will give him 547 lift
and if your using the stock rockers going to a 1.7 will incress your lift to about .472"

-Billy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts