Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also would like to know the most aggressive cam I can have for a 302. Is there a cam out there that has a power band from idle to 6500?? If not how do I call up a company and see if they can make it, anyone know if they can do that?

·
Registered
35,605 Posts
You've asked questions that are nearly impossible to answer. "Aggressive" is a subjective term - different meanings for everyone. Aggressive idle characteristics? Aggressive bottom end torque? Aggressive mid-range? Aggressive peak power production? So 'aggressive' it's only suitable for the race track, and not the street? Aggressive as in large duration or lift numbers?

The nature of camshafts are that, generally, the more likely they are to make big power at 6500 rpm, the less likely they are to make good power at idle - and vice versa. You can't have both with a normally aspirated engine - most of us are trying to pick a compromise between the 2 that meets our needs. The big manufacturer's almost all have variable cam/valve timing mechanisms that allow for changing cam timing throughout the rev-range to try to get a better compromise between bottom end and top end. Unfortunately no such system exists for the 5.0L.

You'll likely get a some replies along the lines of "my buddy's got a wicked Brand X cam that screams to 7000 and has killer torque too!". Well, all I can tell you is it's all subjective. If you really want to pick a cam that's suited the best for the rest of the components you're using, and your desires for rpm range and drivability, contact some of the custom designers and talk it through with them. But don't call unless you're ready to buy, and give some thought to exactly what you want to the car to do, what you don't want it to do, and the rest of the components you plan on using to get there. They'll let you know what the limitations are and what will or won't work, and why. You can start by searching the site for references to Buddy Rawls or Ed Curtis.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can get a custom grind. I don't know much about cam grinds so I'm sure someone will chime in. My cam makes power from 2500-6000 and is almost too much for the street.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts