Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, i've just about got everything for my 393 stroker, scat crank, h beam rods,wiesco flat tops, 69 cc aluminum high ports,ported tfs intake,80 mm t/b, 1 7/8 full length headers,etc..i'm now needing to get the cam, the car will be driven on the street often, so i do not want to get too radical, but i know this many ci need a decent cam to get some power out of it..i allready have a set of good solid roller lifters, would going with a street style solid roller be worth it?i do not want to spin the motor over 6500 tops, and will be running on pump gas, idle concerns are not that critical because i'm thinking of taking the plunge and going with a fel pro system..let me know what would be the best bet, would like to get 550+ fwhp with 36,or 42 lb inj.thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm putting together the same combo.

I would make sure to check and double check your compression ratio. My Flat Tops are 8.5:1 for a 302 but a good 11:1 in the 395 stroker. No pump gas for me.

I have chosen the 290HR small based roller cam from comp.

I found it on ebay for $100.00.

It is 230 @ .50 with about .544 to .566 lift.

The guys here in town at the local speed shop have told me I should have plenty of cam and a rough idle.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
hello

hello, the wiesco's have very deep valve reliefs(max possible while retaining good deck strength), i'm not going to 0 deck the block,which on this late meodel block, should put the pistons down in the hole about .2, which i think will make me lose allmost 1 point in compression. with the 69 cc heads.sounds like a nice combo you have, what kind of numbers are you shooting for?,.what are you going to use for computer?,carb?thanks for replying

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have no idea what to expect from the motor.

I am going with the Edelbrock Victor EFI. This after a long debate about the GT-40 intake I have. When I first but my 351 together there were no good parts available. That was about four years ago.

I'm looking at 30 lb injectors.

It should pull 470 to 525 horsepower.

I just can't wait to get it together and blow some of these rice burners with 5 inch tail pipes off the road.

They make me sick. My kid will never have one of those.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Seems to me like you would be better off with a hydraulic roller cam. A solid cam has more power potential, but requires more maint. and you will probably go through springs and lifters every couple years. If this is not a problem then stick with the solid cam. Prolly in the [email protected] range and .600-.610 lift. I think you'll need 42lb injectors. That is the size I'm running now at 41psi.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Although there has been no definite proof of rpm limit (I haven't seen a post anyway on the net) w/the TFS intake, I don't see 6500rpm happening w/ a 393. I had that intake on my 351 (yes, it was stock) and it got asthmatic around 6,000rpm. I dumped it for a EFI Spyder. Anyway, my point is try to match the cam to the intake and heads. If you use some huge duration, will you be able to take advantage of it? Sounds like custom cam territory to me.

I went FTI with my cam and didn't know Ed from anyone else. Though internet hp always seems a bit elevated, I did notice most engines running his cams ran quite well. The cam took about 2 to 3 weeks from start to finish. While the duration on the cam startled me, a brief conversation with Ed cleared up my concerns. Plus, you gotta like those Dark Side stickers he sends out.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
hey

well, i'm not sure on the intake, either..i allready have the tfs so i'm going to try it out, i have a friend who does quite abit of port work here in town, really nice work!i'm going to let him work it over for me, open the runners, match the lower to the heads on the block,match lower to the upper, and open the t/b opening to 80 mm, if it still ends up being the limiting factor, i'll probably end up with the spyder setup, kinda hard to go wrong there with the way the carb guy's are running..what size t/b's do you guy's have on your setups? what does fti charge for a solid roller?..thanks for the info. p.s, i've seen a box upper for the tfsr lower, it's made by reichard racing..nice looking piece, but at 700+ for it, i think i'll get the whole setup for the carb style victor..might lose some bottm end,but probably won't really notice it with the stroker.it does have one interesting feature though..,you can get the box upper with an intercooler core for s/c or turbosetups..nice, if you guy's want to look at it, go to www. reichardracing.com

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like the guy likes playing with aluminum. :eek: Nice work too, but there is no question in my mind that its not worth what he is asking for it. With the price of the Spyder $749, its hard to pass it up?

FTI solid roller I purchased was $350. I'll be using a 75mm TB initially, then add a 90mm as a test at the dyno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts