Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much work is it to put a crane 2031 cam into a stock 5.0?

i have been told that i can just slide it in, and go, but i have also been told that i have to take off the intake, and valve covers, and remove the pushrods and lifters?

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
35,607 Posts
Check out your Chiltons or Haynes - I think you're gonna need it. Front cover and water pump have to come off - along with serpentine belt , and a number of the accessories. Radiator out, A/C condensor moved out of the way; upper and lower intake; rocker arms and pushrods and lifters out; harmonic balancer off (puller) and then you can unbolt the cam gear and thrust plate and remove the cam. Unless you're willing to trust the cam and timing gear manufacturers, you need a degree wheel and dial indicator to assure that your 2031 is timed properly, then it all goes back together with new gaskets, hoses (some of which you'll probably cut to get off), etc. There is a tool which uses magnets to hold the lifters out of the way which keeps you from having to remove the lower intake. Anderson Ford Motorsport sells them for about $70 bucks. Unless you've done it alot or do it for a living (by your question - it sounds like neither applies) I'd allow a good long weekend, and I'd have some backup transportation just in case. There's always the gasket you need that you can't find, or the water pump bolt that shears off when you try to remove it, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts