Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Combo is below. The cam in there now is a small 525 lift Ultradyne. I am really happy with the streetablility but I am sure I am leaving some HP on the table. I spoke with Comp Cams and they suggested their 35-518-8 cam. It has 555/565 lift with a 224/232 duration adn a 112 lobe separation. Has anyone used this cam? Will it be streetable and fit the combo below? Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CStraub said:
Something in the "teenish" duration wise and the mid 500" lift range.

Chris
That's what I have in there now 112 duration 525 lift

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
I'm with Chris - unless you go to the trouble of having one of the custom designers model things for you, providing some certainty about the outcomes - power levels and the shape/size of the curves - I think it will be pretty coincidental if you swap cams and come out ahead on power AND drivability. If you're happy with drivability on a 500rwhp combo, I believe I'd put that into the category of 'if it ain't broke......".

·
Registered
692 Posts
You can make 580-590 rwhp with an S-trim with the right cam & tune-up easy.GET A CUSTOM-BUT SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THIS COMBO!!!!!!!A S-Trim is not a novi or F-1 and thats the biggest mistake "custom cam guys" make when choosing YOUR cam.Ive been 9.40s @3200lbs with a S-trim and the small vortech aftercooler!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tripp George said:
You can make 580-590 rwhp with an S-trim with the right cam & tune-up easy.GET A CUSTOM-BUT SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THIS COMBO!!!!!!!A S-Trim is not a novi or F-1 and thats the biggest mistake "custom cam guys" make when choosing YOUR cam.Ive been 9.40s @3200lbs with a S-trim and the small vortech aftercooler!
EXACTALLY!! I know there is alot more in the combo. I am switching the GT-40 for the new Trick Flow box intake. It looks killer. And with a new cam I should see close to your figures. What custom cam shops have you had success with?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're happy with drivability on a 500rwhp combo, I believe I'd put that into the category of 'if it ain't broke......". [/B][/QUOTE]

Are we ever happy?? :evil:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I do my own custom cams(Im the G in GP RACING ENGINES).I mostly use comp cams lobes unless they dont offer a lobe I need and someone else has it.On a setup such as yours Id use comp cams.I know the combo and I know what to put in it.A Custom cam in most cases ends up being a "custom guess" cam.They make a decision base on their experence with a particular combo.A Pro-stock engine builder may be a very smart guy,but would he Know what cam to put in a blown 9 sec. street car?I highly Doubt it.Good Luck!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts